Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
willtest
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 16

"On-Demand Scan Auto-Paused" even though "scan when idle" is not selected

I have a system with the issue of on demand scans constantly pausing with log entry "On-Demand Scan Auto-Paused."    Scan when idle is not selected, "scan anytime" is selected.   Please advise how to resolve this.

15 Replies
Sivakumar1
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 16

Re: "On-Demand Scan Auto-Paused" even though "scan when idle" is not selected

Hello @willtest . Thank you for the post. How many machines are having this issue?. Did we also select the options 

1.Do not scan when the system is in presentation mode

2.Do not scan when the system is on battery power

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

willtest
Level 9
Message 3 of 16

I have seen the same event on the logs on other systems.  The two settings you noted are enabled.  But this specific user said the system was docked, not on battery power, and he was not presenting.  It took about 50 hours for the scan to complete.

Sivakumar1
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 16

Hello @willtest . Thank you for your reply. There are several reasons for a scan to take 50 hours to complete. Could you please help us with the screenshot of the ODS settings configured for the system.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

willtest
Level 9
Message 5 of 16

Screenshots attached.

jacek
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 16

So if you want the system to be scanned without pausing this process, UNCHECK both options:

1.Do not scan when the system is in presentation mode

2.Do not scan when the system is on battery power

willtest
Level 9
Message 7 of 16

Jacek I'm not sure this will help as I already noted the system was docked the entire time, not on battery.  Also user was not in presentation mode for the two days it took the scan to complete.

Sivakumar1
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 16

Hello @willtest Thank you for the post. I did check with the screenshots. The System utilization option on the Performance tab for the ODS enables the operating system to specify the amount of CPU time that a scan receives. This option maps to Windows Priority Control. The System utilization setting doesn’t set a static percentage of CPU utilization or threshold for CPU used to perform an ODS. Instead, the operating system manages the amount of CPU resources that the ODS receives at any point in the scan process. The logic that Windows Priority Control uses keeps the CPU as busy as possible performing useful tasks. Windows Priority Control prioritizes CPU utilization to complete specific tasks in the shortest time possible, based on priority. Tasks must be prioritized to determine how available system resources are allocated.

A core component of Windows Priority Control is the System Scheduler. The System Scheduler uses a Multilevel Feedback Queue algorithm to check the priority and the length of time needed to complete a task. Windows Priority Control allocates system resources based on this algorithm. When an ODS is set to run at Below Normal, it doesn’t take CPU time from programs that run at Normal priority. If set to idle, it doesn’t take CPU from any other task or process running at a higher priority.

When an ODS occurs, Windows Priority Control allocates CPU time to the ODS. How Windows Priority Control allocates CPU is based on the Scheduling Priority for the running task. The task priority of the ODS can be set in the ODS task or policy under Performance, System utilization.

For more information, see this Microsoft article on Windows Priority Control.

NOTE: The priority doesn’t apply to archive files if archive scanning is enabled.

To view the priority of a task:

1. Press Ctrl+Alt+Del, then select Task Manager.
  2. On the Processes tab, right-click the process and highlight Set Priority.

In our scenario, We have kept System Utilization as " Below Normal" . So if there is any high Priority task which comes in , it takes the priority and ODS might be Auto - paused.

Was my reply helpful?

willtest
Level 9
Message 9 of 16

Sorry if I missed it but what is your recommendation to resolve my issue?

Sivakumar1
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 16

Thank you for the post @willtest . Is this issue happening with most of the machines?. Are we running Policy Based On-Demand Scan or Custom-Based On Demand Scan?. When Are we running the scan?. IS it daily or weekly?.

Was my reply helpful?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community