Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Zebu
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

mfeavfk.sys - slow compiling

Hello,

We are experiencing very slow compiling time with ENS 10.6.1 on certain developer servers.
We have added all the necessary exclusions in OAS policy. It is tested and checked by Profiler, Procmon and Performance Analyzer. The exclusions are OK in our case.
We only see in Performance Analyzer that mfeavfk.sys driver is loaded using high percentage of CPU weight from the compiling process itself.
No high memory usage or CPU load only very long compiling time.
ENS version 10.6.1. February Update.

Any suggestion?

Thank you!

7 Replies
Highlighted
chealey McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Re: mfeavfk.sys - slow compiling

Hi @Zebu 

Compilers are tricky to exclude properly because of the nature of what they do. An initial recommendation I would make, is to upgrade to the latest December 2019 Update (or wait for the Feb 2020 Update). The reason for this, is that in the October 2019 Update, we made some significant changes to the product to enhance performance. You may benefit from these changes.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
AdithyanT McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 8

Hi @Zebu,

Glad to see you active here, Good post! by the looks of it, this certainly requires more investigation via support request. However, having said that, in general, here are the recommendations:

• Upgrade: ENS 10.6.1 February 2019 update is almost an year old. Not that we have any known issues related to this with it, but it is the general recommendation. If we discover a Bug in the product, it is only logical we work on the newest version for a fix and hence testing with the latest would be highly recommended here if that is feasible from your end.
  • Component Isolation: Have you confirmed that it is OAS that is causing the issue? disabling it helps?
  • Using Scan avoidance than exclusions: Are the processes facing the delay trusted? Unless it is something like java.exe or cscript.exe, powershell.exe, cmd.exe (you see where I am going!) if you really trust the process responsible for compilation, exclude the process by placing it under Low risk. By this way, you are essentially excluding the process activities as well from being scanned!

I sincerely hope these are of some use to your situation!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Zebu
Level 9
Message 4 of 8

Hello, @AdithyanT 

Yes, I am confirming that OAS is the problem and disabling helped.
All the relevant processes are excluded and placed under Low Risk. It is check by several tools.
I will go for December Update and make some tests. Thanks for the tips! 

Zebu
Level 9
Message 5 of 8

@AdithyanT ,

Can you tell me what is mfeavfk.sys? What's the purpose and function exactly?

What i know is:
MFEAVFK.SYS is a A file system filter content driver used for Anti-Virus scanning and maintaining a file cache.
Is it for scanning? Can you provide me detailed information?

Thank you!

AdithyanT McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Hi @Zebu,

Good question. Unfortunately there may be some credit in not discussing about this in detail. However the expected understanding is that this is a Kernel driver that plays major role in scanning and caching results.

Apologies for the inconvenience.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Zebu
Level 9
Message 7 of 8

Is the mfeavfk driver can be stopped and reloaded without computer (OS) restart?

C:\WINDOWS\system32>sc stop mfeavfk
[SC] OpenService FAILED 5:

Access is denied.

sysdriver.PNG

chealey McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

No, it can't be stopped at all because it's protected by multiple layers of Self Protection and Access Protection rules.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community