cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to monitor activity for linux ods scan?

Jump to solution

Hi! I am recently running into a problem where locally started Linux ODS that needed 2 hours to complete is runnin continuously for many days and not getting finished. I looked for option to investigate on what point may that scan be getting "stuck", but so far with no success. Does anyone here have a suggestion on how to approach such a problem?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
hitesh_Reddy
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Re: how to monitor activity for linux ods scan?

Jump to solution

Hello @HugsNotDrugs,

I agree with the data specified in the report would not obtain the entire information on what was scanned but it would also show the task start time and the end time (or if it is still running), If the ODS is completed, we should be looking at a line saying "ODS Scan Manager is shutting down gracefully" which would also have the time frame.

That being said, in order to see the details logging about the file scanned, we would need to enable the ODS activity logging which would give us a huge set of information using the command "/opt/McAfee/ens/tp/bin/mfetpcli –odsactivitylog enable".

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Hitesh

View solution in original post

3 Replies
hitesh_Reddy
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Hello @HugsNotDrugs,

Thank you for writing, Understanding the ODS was triggered locally, could you please try to confirm on what was the scan location that was specified since that depended on the time consumed.

If we are looking at the ODS activity, we could refer to the logs under the location "/var/McAfee/ens/log/tp/odsreport", Please check whether the activity has the latest entries of scan data.

With that said, if we are looking at stopping the task, we could use the command /opt/McAfee/ens/tp/bin/mfetpcli --stoptask --index [index number]. 

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Hitesh

Jump to solution

Hi, indeed the reports in the "/var/McAfee/ens/log/tp/odsreport" contain some data about the scan - however this info only contains general information, like how long the scan lasted, how many files were scanned, timeouts and so on. This information does not help me specify where the scanner was working the longest, to find out why it takes days and not hours like it used to in the past.

hitesh_Reddy
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Hello @HugsNotDrugs,

I agree with the data specified in the report would not obtain the entire information on what was scanned but it would also show the task start time and the end time (or if it is still running), If the ODS is completed, we should be looking at a line saying "ODS Scan Manager is shutting down gracefully" which would also have the time frame.

That being said, in order to see the details logging about the file scanned, we would need to enable the ODS activity logging which would give us a huge set of information using the command "/opt/McAfee/ens/tp/bin/mfetpcli –odsactivitylog enable".

Was my reply helpful?

Hitesh

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community