Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
mprenaud
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

ePO Exclusion Wildcards

All,

I am a new administrator for my enterprise for ePO version 4.6 and I am just starting to work with exclusions. 

I have a set of questions that i need help with.  I have read articles on the exclusion wildcards but am confuse on how they actually should be set.  For example, if i want to exclude the spool directory in general, would it be **\Spool\ or *\Spool or *\Spool\?  Which one covers all the folder and subfolders?  Also, how do the setting checkbox to include all subfolders actually work in 4.6?

Migrating from 4.0 it was set as *\Spool.  However, with the new version of ePO i am not certain this is excluding everything because I see the logs showing items in the spool directory being scanned.

Second question:  how do i know that my exclusion really work or not working?

Thanks to anyone that is kind enough to assist a new admin on this. 

Message was edited by: mprenaud on 9/20/12 8:43:07 AM CDT
2 Replies

Re: ePO Exclusion Wildcards

The easy thing to remember is the "Slash Rule". If it ends in a slash then you mean a directory. If it ends in somehting else you mean a file. Your example of "*\Spool" excludes a file named "Spool" without an extension. Most likely not the desried outcome. You will find that 90% of all exclusions simply aren't necessary. Rather than fix them I would recommend removing them.

Also, you should NOT exclude the spooler directory. This has been a recent area of attack. One machine would print garbage to 1000+ printers.

mprenaud
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 3

Re: ePO Exclusion Wildcards

Thank you for your response.  I will give this a shot and take your comment into account.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community