cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

blue screen, mfeepmpk, wsl, git

Jump to solution

Hi,

I get something like this: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90301. 

I get blue screen when I run WSL git on a repoository under my windows home directory.  It works find under my WSL home directory.

Windows 10 Enterprise, Release 1709.

Ubuntu 18.04 installed.

McAfee Agent: 5.5.0.447

Other McAfee components, including Endpoint Security Threat Prevention: 10.6.1

The problem is regularly repeatable:

* open an bash shell, and changed directory to /mnt/c/Users/${username}

* clone a git repository, here, a repo that was created with msysgit and is local.

git clone projects/someproject/.git

Stop code: PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA,

what failed: mfeepmpk.sys

I sure would like a fix or workaround.  For the moment, I will be using msysgit....it doesn't cause the problem.

I would open a ticket, but I don't know how or even if I'm authorized to do so. 

I doubt my corporate IT support contractor would be able to isolate this problem.  I'm not sure they would know what WSL is, much less support it.  WSL is not used by the vast majority of their customers.

I think the test case is simple to reproduce.  If someone can reproduce the problem, and has authorization to open a ticket, can you do so please?  If there is a way to prevent this blue screen, please post it here?

Thanks

John

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee akatt
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: blue screen, mfeepmpk, wsl, git

Jump to solution

We would be interested in reviewing this more with the correct data set (Full memory dump and MER), and of course the mentioned details supplied when opening a service request.

I am finding a few items related to WSL, but they pertain more to AMCore DAT content, and On-Access Scanning.  Appears there are some limitations in how, what is considered a PICO process, can be handled from an API perspective.  From what I see initially, some of these reports were closed "as designed," but I am having trouble locating a good support statement.  It also appears these issues were isolated to Windows 10 RS3, and that favorable results were obtained with RS4 release.

The driver mentioned from the bugcheck is the Exploit Prevention driver (mfeepmpk.sys).  A possible work-around would be to disable Exploit Prevention.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

5 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee akatt
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

We would be interested in reviewing this more with the correct data set (Full memory dump and MER), and of course the mentioned details supplied when opening a service request.

I am finding a few items related to WSL, but they pertain more to AMCore DAT content, and On-Access Scanning.  Appears there are some limitations in how, what is considered a PICO process, can be handled from an API perspective.  From what I see initially, some of these reports were closed "as designed," but I am having trouble locating a good support statement.  It also appears these issues were isolated to Windows 10 RS3, and that favorable results were obtained with RS4 release.

The driver mentioned from the bugcheck is the Exploit Prevention driver (mfeepmpk.sys).  A possible work-around would be to disable Exploit Prevention.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Thank you.  I am grateful for your very helpful and quick reply.

I plan to upgrade the OS.

I'm not necessarily interested in a fix for this OS release, if the upgrade avoids the issue.    If I can find out who in my company would open a service request.  (I'm a very recent hire.),  I'll provide the full memory dump and MER before I upgrade.

Thanks much!

John

vine
Level 7
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

I work at a large corporation and have run into the issue. It started happening all of a sudden couple of days back. I have been using the same setup for several months now without issues and this started happening all of a sudden and it is very consistent. Our IT enforces install of McAfee products on our laptops. Must be some recent patches that were pushed onto our laptops. 

IT support ended up uninstalling it temporarily and has escalated the issue to higher escalation contacts. I will post this thread to the internal IT support ticket that they have opened. 

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the same problem for a few days.  When I launch a simple bash or python script from the Windows Subsystem for Linux  (WSL), I immedialety get a BSOD with a "PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA" on "mfeepmpk.sys". Disabling McAfee Exploit Prevention from the McAfee Enpoint Security portal seems to resolve the problem, but this option is re-enabled automatically after a few minutes (maybe due to some company security policy or whatever), and the stop error occurs again.

Is there a way to put an exception on Exploit Prevention for the WSL only (or any other subprocess ?) to prevent the error ? What is fix the status for this issue ?

My configuration is the following:

• Windows 10 Professional version 1709 (KB4489886)
  • McAfee Endpoint security version 10.5.4.4241
  • McAfee Agent version 5.6.0.878
  • McAfee Threat prevention 10.5.4.4276
McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Please refer to the KB article below regarding ENS support with WSL.

KB91411 - Windows Subsystem for Linux support with Endpoint Security

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community