Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jround
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

Windows 7 \Boot\BCD 0xc0000034 error

Since Friday a number of our Windows 7 users have reported in to say their computers are suddenly failing to boot with a \Boot\BCD 0xc0000034 error.

We can repair the issue with a Windows 7 CD and automatic repair, however the trouble is the majority of machines are encrypted with MDE (with autoboot enabled as they're PC rather than laptop) so cannot run this automatic repair until the drive is manually decryted using EETECH which takes a good 8-10 hours per machine!

Looking at a machine that was affected, it looks like Endpoint Security is listed under 'installed updates' for the 19/11/18 but I would assume this is just the standard definition updates etc. we have been rolling out 10.5.5 for a couple of months now.  This machine in particular started failing to boot 20/11/18 at 08:45 (or that is the time it last communicated with ePO until we got it back up and running anyway)

Has anyone else experienced a similar issue?  It seems strange as so far only 25 of 4000 devices reported as not booting, but trying to work out the root cause before it potentially starts to hit more!

4 Replies
McAfee Employee tzemva
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: Windows 7 \Boot\BCD 0xc0000034 error

Hi @jround,

I have checked if we have any open support cases for the issue similar you are reporting and I couldn't find any. I am also a bit sceptical that ENS would be the root cause for the problem. Have you tried asking on the MDE forum?

vnaidu
Level 11
Message 3 of 5

@jround

@tzemva This is not an issue with ENS but with MDE. We had the similar issue a couple of weeks ago and we had to contact McAfee Support which eventually resolved the issue.

Regards,

Venu
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

@vnaidu This is why they were advised to inquire on the MDE forums for assistance. However, based on your case, would you be able to share what the cause and resolution was in order to assist others on this thread or those that may come across it in the future?

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

jround
Level 9
Message 5 of 5

Still haven't found what is causing this to be honest, the only pattern is all the machines are HP of differing models (generally several years old hardware), it only seems to affect 32 bit Windows 7 as we checked the 50 or so that have been logged so far to repair.

But I actually ruled out MDE as some of the affected machines have NEVER been encrypted / had MDE agent installed in the first place! (Just to be clear, McAfee Drive Encryption as the full terminology?) hence I thought it might be to do with another product such as ENS or a Windows Update, but usually Google goes mad within minutes if one of those starts to cause issues!

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.