cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: Windows Defender problem reported by MICROSOFT

Jump to solution

So, curiously I have two instances of McAfee Endpoint Security listed when I run that script. In order, I see ENS, Defender and then ENS again. The first ENS instance reports Product State 397312, then Windows Defender reports 397568 and then the second instance of ENS shows 393232. This is on both machines, either updated or clean installed. In talking to the fellow assigned to my ticket the first ENS reference is an artifact left behind in the registry. I'll copy the results in later if you like, I was trying to save space.

Michael
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I also had multiple ENS providers listed in WMI.  At first, I thought that was the issue, or that WSC was reading the productState of the wrong ENS instance.

Completely at a loss, I used the Endpoint Product Removal tool to uninstall everything McAfee, then happened upon Delete AntiVirusProduct WMI - Clear the anti-virus WMI class from 2014 which has a VB script to clean up the errant entries in WMI.

It mentions, "After a reboot of the client machine, WMI will rebuild this class." which it indeed did on my system.  Like I mentioned, ENS was not installed at the time, but WSC/WDA DID re-register itself as an AV provider in WMI (one hopes ENS would do the same).

YMMV, and disclaimer disclaimer disclaimer, this has the potential to completely hose your system, don't use in a production environment, yadda yadda yadda.

At that point for me however, I was ready to format...

I then reinstalled ENS.  The WSC/WDA conflicts are still occurring, but I have no more errant WMI AV provider entries.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 103 of 332

Jump to solution

Good morning all.

We tested an Early Access version of 10.6.1 October Update with customers who had their cases escalated to engineering and we received positive feedback from all of those customers. If the issue persists then this is unexpected and we would need to re-visit the issue along with fresh data from the systems. 

I would advise to ensure that once installing the October Update a reboot is performed and to ensure that Windows Defender is disabled via GPO to avoid any conflict. Further please do ensure that the AMCORE is also up to date.

Please follow up in your respective SRs if the issue is not fixed.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Highlighted
Level 10
Message 104 of 332

Jump to solution

We purposely don't disable Defender via GPO, so if Mcafee was ever missing from the devices for any reason or genuinely broken we still have defender as a fallback.

I'll test out the new update and see how it goes for my systems.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@chealey, can you indicate the reference number for the fix in the 10.6.1 October release notes (https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/endpoint-security-v10-6-1-release-notes/raw/resource/enus/endpoint-se... )?  Based on the resolved issue descriptions, I can't find where co-existence with WCS/WDA is resolved.

Thank you.

Jump to solution

@chealey, similar to @JayMan we will not be disabling WDA via GPO.  This fix is supposed to address this exact issue. 

A new requirement to disable WDA via GPO to use ENS would be unacceptable.

Trying October builds now...

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 107 of 332

Jump to solution

@billmoller It would appear the release notes don't mention this issue. I will try to follow up with the team who create the Release Notes, and see why this was missed. 

Please do share your feedback from the October Build. As mentioned all customers who received the Early Access Build, reported the issue was no longer seen, so based on this feedback, we consider the issue resolved and further investigation would be needed if this is not the case on your system. 

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Disabling via GPO wont be an option for us.  (as we use Microsoft ATP, so requires Defender to be in the correct state)

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 109 of 332

Jump to solution

Just to comment on the Windows Defender part.

Appreciate there may be reasons you leave it on, however by leaving it on you will risk seeing huge performance issues and many other issues > It is not advised to run two AVs on the same system. It will cause conflicts.

Was my reply helpful?
Highlighted

Jump to solution

In our environment (until this issue) Defender was not active, it was in Passive mode (required by Microsoft so we can also use Microsoft Defender ATP, which has always functioned alongside ENS).  Obviously having 2 AV "active" is not a supported state, hence my support call.  support seems very slow to respond / openly identify this issue!

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community