cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Win 7 Pro 32bit ENS TP (10.6) DAT update fails through EPO 5.10

Jump to solution

I have 6 machines that run Win7 Pro 32bit.  These are the only 32bits on the network (not sure if its relevant).   They fail updating the DATs through EPO but if I install them manually they will install fine.  They go through the whole download phase but then says Update Failed to version xxxx.  There is plenty of room on the hard drive.

I have one other Win 7 Pro left on the network thats a 64bit and it updates fine through EPO. 

Ive reinstalled..and running out of ideas.  

Thanks for any help provided

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 10 of 12

Re: Win 7 Pro 32bit ENS TP (10.6) DAT update fails through EPO 5.10

Jump to solution

Hi @Trymelatr,

Thank you for your response. There is not much of a difference, not that I am aware of. However, you can be assured that the ePO should be able to update them as long as they have the right content is fed to them. if you prefer, I would recommend using the package of V3 for ePO from the below link to check for package related issues and that can possibly help us get some clarity here.

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/downloads/security-updates.html

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

11 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 12

Jump to solution

Machine running 32 bit or 64 bit doesn't play here. Product supports with both x86 and x64 machines. Need to look at Mcscript log (C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Agent\logs) will help in finding the cause of failure.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi @Trymelatr,

Thank you for your post! please check the below post by @cdinet  which may help you with a good plan of action to progress further.

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/ePolicy-Orchestrator/HOW-TO-TROUBLESHOOT-CLIENT-UPDATE-DEPLOYMENT-FA...

I sincerely hope this helps!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I followed those steps. The Agent portion looks to complete fine. It downloads everything and only after it hands it off to do the install does it come back as Failed.

I then checked the windows\temp\mcafee logs but nothing in there was updated after i kicked off the Update.  I did notice that it appears that every time an update was attempted, a folder in c:\windows\temp was created and populated with xxxxxxmed.gem files and the folder remains there. 

the earliest folder was from back when we migrated from one EPO server to a newer one.  All 64bit operating systems can auto update but the 32's can not. Is there something I am missing in the Master Repository?  I wouldnt think so cause I can copy the v3_XXXXdat.exe file from the repository and run it manually.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 12

Jump to solution

Try clearing out everything mcafee related in the windows\temp directory (except for the mcafeelogs folder).  There used to be an issue with VSE if there was a testengdat32 folder there, it caused updates to fail, so it may be possible some similar issue.  All those temp folders from dat updates are supposed to be removed after a successful update.  I will also move this to the ens team to see if they can assist since it is past the agent functionality.  They can tell you better what logs to look at.

Keep in mind, they will tell you that Windows 7 is no longer supported, by either us or Microsoft, but hopefully they will still try to assist.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Unfortunately that didnt change anything. Il see how to switch it over to the ENS team. Thanks

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 12

Jump to solution

I already moved it for you.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi @Trymelatr,

Thank you for keeping us updated.

You can confirm that the dat file when run locally is able to execute just fine and updates the endpoint as well? If that's the case, less probability that ENS is failing here, but it is most certainly worth a verification.

One more step you can do to see if the ePO has anything at all to do with this issue is by changing the update site to Internet (HTTP McAfee update site) and check if the update happens just fine when done via the same. This can help us know if there is an issue with the files being downloaded from the Master repo.

Also, why only 32 bit machines? Do you have any specific applications that are installed in 32 bit machines that can be a common factor?

Can you help us with the log files after sanitizing them? (Agent Logs from C:\programdata\McAfee\Agent\logs\ folder)

Looking for ward to your kind response.

Also if you have a support case open, please DM me the same so that i can look into this for you from ENS end.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I can confirm...if I run the v3_XXXXdat.exe file directly. it will update to that version.  But when it goes through the EPO it doesnt pull that file down and run so I wasnt sure if there were 32bit installers versus 64 installers that might be missing on EPO. I know the 32 bit machines have a different directory structure and various mcafee components are no in the same place as on a 64bit machine.

These machines are on a Closed network - no internet access so I cant change the source unfortunately.

I will look into getting the logs but that will be a process.

Can yo confirm...both 32 and 64bit source files are the same from the EPO?  We have a company site we get all the files from...not directly from Mcafee. Maybe we arent getting files needed by 32bit machines??

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 12

Jump to solution

Hi @Trymelatr,

Thank you for your response. There is not much of a difference, not that I am aware of. However, you can be assured that the ePO should be able to update them as long as they have the right content is fed to them. if you prefer, I would recommend using the package of V3 for ePO from the below link to check for package related issues and that can possibly help us get some clarity here.

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/downloads/security-updates.html

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community