cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Whitelist/Exclude application to run wscript

Hi,

I have a custom application which use java.exe in its installation directory to call wscript.exe. WScript.exe by default is blocked by another policy in our enviornment. How do i exclude/whitelist our custom application and specifically java.exe in our custom application to run Wscript.exe?

Thank you

5 Replies
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 6

Re: Whitelist/Exclude application to run wscript

Hi @Woodchipper 

Thank you for your post here! Looking at  your description, I am going to go out on a limb and say this is one of the "McAfee defined" Access protection rule that is preventing you from using script process (Wscript.exe or Cscript.exe).

If this is the case, I am afraid we cannot exclude a process under this rule since the processes on which the rule applies are cscript and wscript.exe.

May I please confirm with you the rule in place that is actually performing this block?

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Hi @AdithyanT

Can it not be possible to copy the defined rule, modify it as needed and disable the McAfee defined rule? Even if its McAfee defined, can it not be possible to run Wscript if called by a trusted source?

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Hi @Woodchipper ,

Thank you for your response. That is a very valid suggestion and I am sure that can be put forth as a PER

Just for confirmation, Can you please confirm that we are discussing about the rule: "Block scripts ran from common user folders" under Access Protection policy?

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Hi @Woodchipper 

If the above is the case, here is a very useful thread where, @jess_arman has shared a very useful customized policy that contains the rule custom made so that we can exclude as required.

Rather than copy pasting his response, this thread would be extremely useful in understanding the policy and how we can implement it. I very recently used this one, customized a little bit and it worked perfectly fine in exclusion of script calls from certain user temp location. I would recommend going through this. thread. I sincerely hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
McAfee Employee patrakshar
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Can we get the log entry details that shows the block?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community