cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WSL commands causing blue screen crashing in mfeepmpk

Hi. 

This is unacceptable. 

Look if you're going to have an antivirus software you bloody well make sure you support everything a computer does. 

I have WSL running Ubuntu1804 and a blue screen very reliably happens running your software everytime: tar, gunicorn, ufw, and nginx (sudo service nginx start) runs. 

The same package is causing it, mfeepmpk.sys. I have no way of turning this off. 

You guys have wasted two weeks of my development time because my IT team is not authorised to turn it off. Yes, I do have your antivirus updated to the latest. 

Get your act together. You absolutely can't have software taking up development time if it will reliably crash running routine unix calls. 

Fix this ASAP this is unacceptable. 

Using McAfee Endpoint Security 10.5.5.5124 

5 Replies

Re: WSL commands causing blue screen crashing in mfeepmpk

Have they fixe the probleme ?
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 6

@Pierre-Alexis WSL is a feature not currently supported by ENS. Please see KB91411

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

@Pierre-Alexis WSL is a feature not currently supported by ENS. ==> I apologize but these blue screen are caused by the utilisation of McAfee and WSL is, now, an official product of Microsoft company. I really surprise you don't support a problem caused by your software. 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 6

@Pierre-Alexis It's not that we don't support issues involving our software. It is that the software is not supported on a Windows system that is running WSL. It is not something the product has currently been designed to handle, and is not a tested, backed by engineering configuration. It is something that is being looked into, as it has become a reality of the Microsoft OS offerings, but our products' supportability/compatibility with this optional Microsoft feature has not yet come to fruition, and we do not currently have a defined timeline of when that will happen.

You're welcome to submit a PER as an avenue to cite interest and need for this to be adopted. You can also speak with your Account Manager or Sales Representative so they can forward your need to the appropriate internal parties to further advocate for this to be provided sooner rather than later. I would recommend that you subscribe to the KB provided so you can be informed of updates to the statement as soon as there are changes.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Your application is crashing the operative system. You can say that MCAfee doesnt support WSL in case that it is not able to scan wsl files or if McAfee crash when you use wsl. But in this case you are crashing the operative system and all other applications running on it. You must be responsible for this horror.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community