cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

System performance low while using MS Office and SAP

Jump to solution
We need to add MS Office and SAP exclusion for Windows 10 system So please let us know should we add MS Office exes in High risk processes in OAS policy. This issue is only issue for HP Probook 645 models and ENS, no issue with VSE.
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Re: System performance low while using MS Office and SAP

Jump to solution

To know which exclusions are needed, the vendor of the software would need to provide you with a list.

They will typically specify both processes and file locations to be excluded from scanning. Processes which are to be excluded from scanning would be set as low risk processes with scanning for low risk processes disabled. Any path exclusions would be added as default exclusions.

You can also further tweak the low risk processes, by adding the path exclusion in the low risk processes tab. This will limit the low risk process exclusion to just that path.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
5 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

In short, if you need to exclude something from being scanned, then you are looking at defining it is a low risk process = a trusted process which you want to be scanned less or not at all depending on your scan settings. A high risk process is a process which you think could be risky and should be scanned more thoroughly because it's likely to be misused for malicious purposes.

I recommend this KB article, it explains when to define high and low risk processes in detail: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB55139

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Thanks,

As per video it seems MS Office exes need to add in Low risk process

Please suggest.

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

To know which exclusions are needed, the vendor of the software would need to provide you with a list.

They will typically specify both processes and file locations to be excluded from scanning. Processes which are to be excluded from scanning would be set as low risk processes with scanning for low risk processes disabled. Any path exclusions would be added as default exclusions.

You can also further tweak the low risk processes, by adding the path exclusion in the low risk processes tab. This will limit the low risk process exclusion to just that path.

Was my reply helpful?
Reliable Contributor Daveb3d
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

This is a very bad idea,  as the Office activity then won't be scanned.   You are opening the door to maldocs.  

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Absolutely agree with you. My responses were more generic in how the product works.

@User30455258  You'll notice by default items such as excel.exe and other office products are listed as high risk processes by default because of their large mis-use by malicious processes as @Daveb3d also states.

Was my reply helpful?
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community