cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slow PC with Endpoint Security 10.5

Jump to solution

Upgraded from virusscan 8.8, endpoint DLP, host intrusion prevention 8.0 to the new Endpoint Security 10.5.  pushed this to about 20 test pc's and they are all showing around 65% memory usage, cpu spikes to 100 percent and even the disk spikes to 100 percent.  this is deployed on windows 7, windows 8.1 and windows 10.  also to desktops and laptops with mcafee encryption.  Any ideas or suggestions of were to look.  Mostly the task manager shows the Mcafee scanner service as the highest useage.  Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions

Re: Slow PC with Endpoint Security 10.5

Jump to solution

I had major issues with 10.5 deployed on some systems.  I was able to get system performance back by resetting a set of test policies back to McAfee defaults.  I then enabled Enforcement in the ATP Options policy, and ensured that both Real Protect cloud and client scanning were enabled. 

So far i have it deployed on 4500(ish) systems and I've only had to write three exclusions.  To the point, I'm finding that exclusions slow down ENS 10.5 rather than speed it up.  You're better off running without any or very few, than all of the exclusions that your vendor tells you that you need.  We've adjusted our policies so that we won't accept an exclusion unless a proven performance impact can be shown.  This includes SQL and Exchange.  ENS 10.5 is running quite nicely.

7 Replies
ahawke
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

OAS in Threat Prevention is probably the most logical place to start....try turning it off. If there is improvement, assess what is being scanned and go from there. That about as specific as I can be given the lack of detail on upgrade process used, config, ect.

Jump to solution

I had major issues with 10.5 deployed on some systems.  I was able to get system performance back by resetting a set of test policies back to McAfee defaults.  I then enabled Enforcement in the ATP Options policy, and ensured that both Real Protect cloud and client scanning were enabled. 

So far i have it deployed on 4500(ish) systems and I've only had to write three exclusions.  To the point, I'm finding that exclusions slow down ENS 10.5 rather than speed it up.  You're better off running without any or very few, than all of the exclusions that your vendor tells you that you need.  We've adjusted our policies so that we won't accept an exclusion unless a proven performance impact can be shown.  This includes SQL and Exchange.  ENS 10.5 is running quite nicely.

Reliable Contributor bodysoda
Reliable Contributor
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution
Thank you very much. You spoke my mind 🙂
In case above information was useful or answered your question, please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give a Kudo. Thanks!
McAfee Employee dmcgeary
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution
Indeed! this is more officially substantiated in KB88205

Jump to solution

chrischale,

Mind sharing your exclusions?  Assuming they're generic.  

Highlighted
McAfee Employee cookand
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Anytime that you are seeing spikes in CPU (whether VSE/ENS is present on the box) the most likely cause is OAS scanning. With that being said you can look at creating the proper exclusions in the policy for your environment. Below I will list the "consolidated list of exclusions" for you to review:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66909&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=f...

Also, you can test to see if it is exclusions will make a difference by running a ZZZ test. Basically you assign the policy to a machine showing the behavior, send a wake up and see if it has any effect on bring the CPU down:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67648

The above mentioned cites VSE, but you can do the same for ENS. Test that out let me know if it chills out the CPU spikes, if so 100% exclusions is what you are looking at incorrporating within the environment. And as always if you need help setting up exclusions, give us a ring and we will take a look at it with you.

-Andrew

Jump to solution

@cookand wrote:

Anytime that you are seeing spikes in CPU (whether VSE/ENS is present on the box) the most likely cause is OAS scanning. With that being said you can look at creating the proper exclusions in the policy for your environment. Below I will list the "consolidated list of exclusions" for you to review:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB66909&actp=null&viewlocale=en_US&showDraft=f...

Also, you can test to see if it is exclusions will make a difference by running a ZZZ test. Basically you assign the policy to a machine showing the behavior, send a wake up and see if it has any effect on bring the CPU down:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB67648

The above mentioned cites VSE, but you can do the same for ENS. Test that out let me know if it chills out the CPU spikes, if so 100% exclusions is what you are looking at incorrporating within the environment. And as always if you need help setting up exclusions, give us a ring and we will take a look at it with you.

-Andrew

What do you mean by 100% exclusions?  I am aware of the zzz scanner.  I just have a hard time believe that McAfee doesn't have a blanket policy that works in 99.9% of environments.  
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community