Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
off2
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Self Protection Blocking ie4uinit.exe

Is anyone else's ENS self protection blocking the Internet Explorer file ie4uinit.exe? The file is located in the correct path of C:\WIndow\System3\ie4uinit.exe which means it should be the legit file so it should be okay to exclude from self protection. I am just not sure why this file would be getting blocked if it is a legit windows file.

7 Replies
mmuthuga
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Re: Self Protection Blocking ie4uinit.exe

From the self protection event you should be able to see that ie4uinit.exe must be accessing McAfee ENS file\registry\process. Do you see a event like "IE4UINIT.EXE, which tried to access HKCU\SOFTWARE\MICROSOFT\INTERNET EXPLORER\MAIN\ENABLE BROWSER EXTENSIONS, violating the rule "Web Control - Protect plugin registry keys and values" ? This event can generated when trying to enable/disable "Enable third-party browser extensions" among other actions. So this is expected behavior protecting McAfee ENS file\registry\process which prevents disabling protection on the client.

off2
Level 9
Message 3 of 8

So you are saying the end user that is on the computer is trying to enable a third-party-browser-extension and that is what is causing the file to try and change the registry keys? Also, is waiving the file path C:\WINDOWS\System32\ie4uinit.exe a viable option?

mmuthuga
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

"Enable third-party browser extensions" is one of the ways that can generate the event. The event is expected if a non-McAfee process tried to access\change McAfee ENS registry entries.

off2
Level 9
Message 5 of 8

Is waiving the file path C:\WINDOWS\System32\ie4uinit.exe, in the McAfee Common policies under self protection, a viable option?

jrauman
Level 7
Message 6 of 8

This is happening to us as well.  Why would Endpoint Security want to prevent Internet Explorer from enabling the Endpoint Security Web Control plug-in?  And what do we need to do to stop it from showing up as blocked.  

AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

Hi @jrauman,

Thank you for replying here. Kindly please find below the explanation for this behavior from our Engineering:

This is as designed. If the keys were unprotected, then any user could disable browser extensions, and break Web Control in IE.

Related KB86948 explains to disable self protection to alter the value.

When the "Enable Browser Extensions" key is not present, IEs default behavior is yes, or enabled for Workstation OSes. For Server OSes, the default value is no, or disabled.

To prevent blocking the action:
1. Temporarily add a Self Protection exclusion.

or
2. Temporarily disable the registry protection option of Self Protection, or set it to Report only.

or
3. Temporarily disable Self Protection.

As explained above this is not meant to block the enabling of extension, but to block the disabling of the extension. Unfortunately, the process in use for both these action is the same and hence this behavior is expected. I sincerely hope this answer helps.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Hi @off2,

Now that I have come across this post owing to a recent response, I could not stop myself but notice this post and hence I am responding to this as well.

No, This is not really a good option as it would beat the very purpose of the self-protection in place. You can add this as a temporary exclusion though and it should still help. You can follow any of the 3 suggestions available in my previous post, however adding a permanent exclusion for the process ie4uinit.exe to Self protection is not recommended by us.

I sincerely hope this helps as well!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community