Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
twenden
Level 13
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 13

Scan Engine 6000 Deployment and EndPoint Security Threat Prevention 10.6.1 won't deploy

Jump to solution

This morning, I oulled the latest Scan Engine 6000 in our ePO current branch. I noticed that the Mac systems, Windows systems runnning VSE 8.8i and Linux systems all installed the new Engine 6000. 

However, I can't seem to get the majoprity of our systems, running ENS 10.6.1 Threat Prevention to install this 6000 Engine. Their is a KB article that states that it is available on Oct 10th. Is there any special tricks to get ENS 10.6.1 to install engine 6000 to my endpoints? You can see from the screen shots below what the KB article states for dates and what we have in the repository and what our update tasks has checked. 

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 7.26.08 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-11 at 7.27.03 AM.pngScreen Shot 2018-10-11 at 7.27.41 AM.png

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee Alba
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 13

Re: Scan Engine 6000 Deployment and EndPoint Security Threat Prevention 10.6.1 won't deploy

Jump to solution

Please review all the info that is published into the article:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB88809

McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 13 of 13

Re: Scan Engine 6000 Deployment and EndPoint Security Threat Prevention 10.6.1 won't deploy

Jump to solution

@twenden As was mentioned, the replication/posting issue has been resolved on CommonUpdater and CommonUpdater2, so the correct throttling mechanisms can truly proceed as intended.

If you don't want to wait, there is an option to make all machines move to Engine 6000 immediately, which is to use the CommonUpdater3 repository, either directly from the endpoint or in ePO. This contains only Engine 6000 with no throttle applied, so the updates will be applied immediately.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

12 Replies
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 13

Jump to solution

@twenden Have you confirmed that your systems on 10.6.1 inherit a McAfee Agent policy that allows them to pull from the branch of your repository where the 6000 engine is located? (Suggesting in the event you pointed to evaluation to upgrade to 10.6.1, but 6000 is in current).

Unfortunately, without reviewing logs for your McAfee Agent and other logs on the system, I can't make a good analysis on what could be causing your issue here. Due to the information that can be included in some of these logs, it would likely be in your best interest to engage with Support for assistance.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

twenden
Level 13
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

Yes, we have the agent policy to pul the engine from the current branch. This is shown below. I believe that I have seen a thread that says that on ENS that the engine gets incoroprated into the Amcore content package and that is is not a sperate package like with VirusScan 8.8i. Is that true?

Screen Shot 2018-10-11 at 12.37.26 PM.png

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

@twenden We've reproduced this with ENS internally and have found an issue with how the engine is posted on updater sites and are working on a correction. There will not need to be any action on your end to resolve, I'll update you when you can proceed and it should be successful.

Was my reply helpful?

twenden
Level 13
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks for the update. 

Pixels
Level 9
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

I was going to post the exact same quesiton.  We are also seeing this exact same issue.

My other quesiton was going to be what is a "Throttled Autoupdate"?  I had thought maybe this had to do with the issue?

twenden
Level 13
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

Looks like McAfee was able to reproduce and is reporting this issue. Hopefully, it gets fixed soon. 

McAfee Employee Alba
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

What is Throttled Auto Update?
The Throttled Auto Update process uses randomisation to control the number of client nodes which receive update to Engine (or other components in the update).
During the throttle period, the number of client nodes which receive the update will increase daily.
After the throttle period, every client node will receive the update to Engine by default. There is no action needed at the client node receiving the update.

How does the Throttled AutoUpdate work?
The throttle period is divided into three phases with a different rate of deployment:

• The first week, only a few machines receive the upgrade each day; these machines are randomly selected.
  • In the second week, more machines receive the upgrade each day; these machines are also randomly selected.
  • In the third week, the rate of deployment is increased so that the final upgrades are complete across all machines.

NOTE: During the throttle period, if a new machine has a fresh product installation (that is, not from an upgrade), it always takes the new engine version, never the old one.

NOTE: This Scan Engine update is mandatory. ENS endpoints that are currently running the 5900 Scan Engine will be updated to the 6000 Scan Engine.
Once the GA date is reached (1st November), the 5900 Scan Engine is no longer present in the V3 DAT nor the Common Updater sites.
McAfee Employee Alba
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

Please review all the info that is published into the article:

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB88809

twenden
Level 13
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

Thanks. Was getting confused on what that means. I do see a few systems, about 15 out of 1800, running ENS, that have upgraded to Engine 6000. I guess we just need to be patient. 

Member Rewards
McAfee Community rewards active and helpful members just like you. Click here to take a look at the first community members who received a special reward and were recognized by McAfee leader, Aneel Jaeel, for their participation and trusted knowledge in the community.