Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jround
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION mfencbdc.sys

Jump to solution

One of our servers, Windows Server 2008 R2 is constantly randomly crashing with the SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION mfencbdc.sys blue screen.

I have seen a few McAfee KB articles but the server appears to be running 10.5.5 November Update which some of the KBs suggests should have resolved this issue?

Endpoint platform 10.5.5.5085

ATP 10.5.5.5067

TP 10.5.5.5093

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee akatt
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION mfencbdc.sys

Jump to solution

The referenced driver is indeed the Exploiot Prevention driver, so you are defnitely on track for trying to locate the correct information and the fix.  In order to replace the "bad" driver, we had to build a utility that marks the driver for deletion, pending a reboot, and then replace it with a "good" driver at startup (preferrably logging back in with an admin account).

There are occurrences here and there of that utility possibly not doing what we need it to.  That being said, the bugcheck code is clear, and you have an updated product version installed.  I can think of two best routes here...

We can collect a full memory dump and review the dump to see if it fits for the already discovered issues involving that driver, and then of course make sure we have properly communicated what version to install, in order to properly replace it.  This will require opening a service request and attaching the full dump, and a MER result.

The other option, is to uninstall the product, plan for a reboot, and then perform a clean install with an updated version, so that there is no question that the new, fixed driver, will install cleanly on the system.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

1 Reply
Highlighted
McAfee Employee akatt
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 2

Re: SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION mfencbdc.sys

Jump to solution

The referenced driver is indeed the Exploiot Prevention driver, so you are defnitely on track for trying to locate the correct information and the fix.  In order to replace the "bad" driver, we had to build a utility that marks the driver for deletion, pending a reboot, and then replace it with a "good" driver at startup (preferrably logging back in with an admin account).

There are occurrences here and there of that utility possibly not doing what we need it to.  That being said, the bugcheck code is clear, and you have an updated product version installed.  I can think of two best routes here...

We can collect a full memory dump and review the dump to see if it fits for the already discovered issues involving that driver, and then of course make sure we have properly communicated what version to install, in order to properly replace it.  This will require opening a service request and attaching the full dump, and a MER result.

The other option, is to uninstall the product, plan for a reboot, and then perform a clean install with an updated version, so that there is no question that the new, fixed driver, will install cleanly on the system.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator