cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Re: SCCM 1910 - Win10 In-Place Upgrade Tasksequence failing if ENS is installed

Jump to solution

I am here just to confirm the same issue.

SCCM 1910 5.0.8913.1000

ENS 10.6.1.1815

Threat Protection 10.6.1.1881

MA 5.6.1.157

Once ENS gets installed the task sequence stops and the next package does not download.  Disabled ENS step in the task sequence and it completes as expected.

Highlighted
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 22 of 31

Jump to solution

McAfee support,
What is the plans to reproduce the issue in your labs and contact Microsoft if needed? I guess you have enough with different cases now including the needed data to reproduce the problem. Since the 28th Jan, my technical contact have tried to get a SCCM license without success.
I will now raise the prioritizing on the ticket to get more attention.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 23 of 31

Jump to solution

Hi @df 

Appreciate your frustration however as pointed out, we require Microsoft to inform us of what changes they have made to their SCCM software so that we can react to their change. Have you raised a ticket with Microsoft? If yes, please do share the Case Number + Contact details of the Engineers within your SR so that our Engineers can work with them.

Please be mindful that the change has occurred on Microsoft end - not ours. This makes Microsoft first responder and we need to understand what they changed so we can react appropriately. Collecting logs - whilst necessary - is not productive or useful if we don't have a statement from the vendor that made the changes.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

the Support Case of McAfee was <4-20625178821> Contact: Stefan Ivanchevski

the Support Case of Microsoft was <18351228> Contact: Cem Sen

Because of many other projects, I don't have the time to open the Tickets again. Sorry.
Perhaps next week.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

"You can tell McAfee that yes we definitely did change something. In fact we changed a lot of things. That is what an upgrade does. We could go through and tell you what all of this changes were, for example the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/configmgr/core/plan-design/changes/whats-new-in-version-1910" ....

https://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/d5f8f899-9c8d-47f5-a267-1f8062c986df/osd-failing-a...

Highlighted

Jump to solution

As it turns out that a solution is nowhere in sight, we've been looking for workarounds in the last days.

I had some successful tests lately, when removing ENS (but not the Agent), before the upgrade starts. Our Task Sequence currently performs these basic steps:

• Set variable SetupCompletePause to 60 (to avoid any timing issues)
  • Remove ENS (by running the command "McAfeeEndpointProductRemoval_19.11.0.64.exe --accepteula --ENS --noreboot")
  • Perform Windows 10 upgrade to 1909 (using Microsofts ISO updated in December 2019, this is a newer version than the original release from October 2019)
  • Reboot
  • Install Language Packs
  • Install missing Software Updates
  • Reboot
  • Reinstall ENS (as the last step)

Doing it this way seems to work, though not ideal and delaying the entire procedure for about 5-10 minutes. We will be doing more tests in the next days and I will post back here my results.

Important observation made: Reinstalling ENS as the final step seems to be crucial for a successful Task Sequence completion. If ENS is not the last step the Task Sequence is hanging forever again and does not complete.

It seems as if ENS does not like Task Sequences running the computer in provisioning mode ... maybe this info helps McAfee isolating the error ...

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi,

Today McAfee asked us to Test upgrade with ENS 10.6.1 FEB update or ENS 10.7 Feb Update, I will deploy Feb Update  and will try OS upgrade, 

Will come up with update soon.

Thanks,

Girish.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

We just updated our SCCM environment with this update https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4537079/update-rollup-for-microsoft-endpoint-configuration-... . 

So far this has seemed to fix our Inplace Upgrades from failing on devices with ENS installed. I have tested both 10.6.1 and 10.7.x the only change in our environment was the Config Manager hotfix listed above. 

Hopefully, others have the same results and we can mark this as the solution. 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 29 of 31

Jump to solution

@jasonlawrence Thank you for sharing. Whilst our Engineering Team have made good progress in identifying what is causing the issue and are currently working and testing a fix, it would be very interesting to hear from others if this MS Update also resolves the issue.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Highlighted

Jump to solution

The latest Update rollup for 1910, KB4537079 seems to fixed it. 
We use ENS 10.7 latest Febr. Build.

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community