Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Reboot loop when upgrading from 10.5.3 to 10.6.1

I am in the process of upgrading to 10.6.1 and have dozens of machines stuck in a reboot loop.  Users see a pop up stating that a reboot is required but after multiple reboots the message reappears and the upgrade does not complete.  I have found errors in the EndpointUpgradeAutomation log that the mfeepmpk  utility requires a reboot.  I have also found in the McAfee_Common_Bootstrapper log an error that a Utility to update ENS exp driver returned reboot required.  The McAfee_Update_Exp_Driver log indicates that the mfeepmk fixer utility found a faulty driver, delete is pending and a reboot is required.  Any ideas on how to correct this or what the root cause may be?

7 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Re: Reboot loop when upgrading from 10.5.3 to 10.6.1

Try the following: 

Navigate to the registry and delete these entries:
Under HKU and HKLM:
"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\RunOnce"

Key
"McAfeeEndpointSecurity_100" : "C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Endpoint Security

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 3 of 8

@chealey wrote:

Try the following: 

Navigate to the registry and delete these entries:
Under HKU and HKLM:
"Software\\Microsoft\\Windows\\CurrentVersion\\RunOnce"

Key
"McAfeeEndpointSecurity_100" : "C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Endpoint Security

I checked a couple of computers and there are no registry keys with that name at those locations.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

@JeffM 

Try the following location:

HKEY_USER\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\McAfeeEndpointSecurity_100.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Highlighted
Level 7
Message 5 of 8

@akatt wrote:

@JeffM 

Try the following location:

HKEY_USER\.DEFAULT\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce\McAfeeEndpointSecurity_100.

Was my reply helpful?

There are no registry keys with that name at that location.  The only location I have found that key is at 

HKLM\Software\Wow6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\RunOnce but removing it has not made a difference.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

On one machine - can you try to delete the mfeepmk.old driver file which has been created (whole location can be seen in the  McAfee_Update_Exp_Driver log) and check to see if the installation continues?

Is it happening to all systems you are upgrading from 10.5.3 to 10.6.1 or just some?

What would be helpful to support would be if you could gather a procmon, amtrace and the installation files / MER file whilst you run the INITIAL upgrade. So at point where it breaks. From what I've seen in support cases, a .old file is created and this for whatever reason isn't removed successfully, even after a reboot. The data whilst running that initial task would show us hopefully what's blocking it from being removed.

Was my reply helpful?
Highlighted
Level 7
Message 7 of 8

@chealey wrote:

On one machine - can you try to delete the mfeepmk.old driver file which has been created (whole location can be seen in the  McAfee_Update_Exp_Driver log) and check to see if the installation continues?

Is it happening to all systems you are upgrading from 10.5.3 to 10.6.1 or just some?

What would be helpful to support would be if you could gather a procmon, amtrace and the installation files / MER file whilst you run the INITIAL upgrade. So at point where it breaks. From what I've seen in support cases, a .old file is created and this for whatever reason isn't removed successfully, even after a reboot. The data whilst running that initial task would show us hopefully what's blocking it from being removed.

This happens on 15 to 20 % of the machines.  Discovered a file called mfeepmpk.old.sys in the C:\windows\system32\drivers folder.  After deleting that and rebooting the deployment process works normally on most of the machines.  Its not a fix all but has improved the situation immensely.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

I'm glad to hear this works as a workaround. I can confirm, I have used those steps with a customer before aswell - not the best, but works.
I can confirm we've already seen a number of cases passed up to engineering and they are working on a fix - I don't expect this to be before the April update though. As a little side note - The actual root cause seems to be Microsoft and we are also waiting for them to fully address the issue.
Was my reply helpful?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community