cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

Question regarding the export/import file when installing McAfee ENS TP standalone.

I have a handful of Win10 workstations I need to install McAfee on.  I only have access to the unmanaged standalone installer (10.7.0.1733), and I am only installing the Threat Protection module.  Naturally I want to have the same settings on all of the workstations.  I installed the McAfee Threat Protection module manually on one of the Win10 machines, launching the setupEP and using the GUI.  After the installation finished, I went through the settings and customized the LocalUNC to point to a local repository to get Updates (my network is required to not be connected to the internet so I have to bring them in manually and stage them on a file server).  I also customized the Quick Scan and Full Scan under Tasks to run at specific times and days of the week.  These are the only customizations I set.  I then exported the policy file using the ESConfigTool:

> ESConfigTool.exe /export C:\temp\McAfee_TP.policy /module TP

I then took this file to another machine and tried to use it to install TP:

> setupEP.exe ADDLOCAL="tp" /qb /import C:\temp\McAfee_TP.policy /module TP

Everything installed ok, and at the very end of the installation, the installer indicated that the policy imported successfully.  However, when I opened up the settings, none of the repository or scan tasks I had customized on the first machine were set on the second machine.  Everything was just set to default settings.

Are things like the repository settings and scanning tasks not saved as part of the exported policy file, or am I not doing something right? 

Is there a specific log file to look at for this?  I've browsed through most of the log files, but I don't see anything obvious that would indicate a problem.  Of course, there is a LOT to sift through with all of the log files, so it's certainly possible I missed something. 

1 Reply
mpatel127
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: Question regarding the export/import file when installing McAfee ENS TP standalone.

Hi @Former Member ,

Thank you for contacting McAfee Community,

Looking at the issue description it seems like that the method to customize standalone installation you are using needs to be changed. McAfee has one very handy tool called "Endpoint Security Package Designer" which will full fill your all requirement for standalone environment.

Kindly follow this KBA to follow instructions regarding how to use tool >>https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB86438

FAQs for the ENSPD tool

Why use ENSPD where ENS is unmanaged or standalone?
A primary purpose of ENSPD is to apply policy configurations in the absence of ePO management. 

What modules does ENSPD currently support for customizing policies?
ENSPD supports customizing policies for Threat Prevention, Firewall, and Web Control.

Let us know if you have any query which requires clarification.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
MayurKumar P

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community