cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

QQ about PUP detection name

Jump to solution

Hi there,

One of our programs detected by OAS and looks like it was detected by PUP. Th detection name is something like “generic.rs”

What is it the generic.rs means here? Is it unique or indicates a brunch of PUPs? What if we exclude it by this detection name, will it results in false negatives? Thanks.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 5 of 5

Re: QQ about PUP detection name

Jump to solution

Hi @User21257322,

Thank you for your post. I am afraid there is no other method here. As long as you have PUP detection enabled, you may have to use the detection name as the exclusion. We would however recommend implementing this exclusion to a very small number of machines that really need this in place.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

4 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello , 

generic.rs is a detection name for the PUP . This is a Generic name which defines a group of PUP detections.

We would not recommend to add an exclusion by this name as that would result in NO Detection for any PUP  with 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello @User21257322 , "generic.rs" is Not unique name. It's a generic detection name of Trojan, and its name will be possibly changed to unique name in future. It's not recommended to exclude by this name. I would suggest sending file to our labs to analyze the detected file.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
Highlighted

Jump to solution
Thanks btw May I know how to add exclusion under this situation? AFAIK I will have to add the detection name as the exclusion...
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @User21257322,

Thank you for your post. I am afraid there is no other method here. As long as you have PUP detection enabled, you may have to use the detection name as the exclusion. We would however recommend implementing this exclusion to a very small number of machines that really need this in place.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community