Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ph0t0g
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Problem Installing Threat Prevention Error 1603

I have several systems that are getting a "Installation success or error status: 1603." error installing TP. Other modules install OK...

Agent is Version....................... 5.6.1.308
Tychon is Version...................... 1.7.520.10
Security Platform is Version........... 10.6.11910
Threat Prevention is Version...........
Adaptive Threat Protection is Version..
Web Control is Version................. 10.6.11910
HIPS is Version........................ 8.00.1300 8.00.1300
DLP is Version......................... 11.3.2.82
Policy Auditor is Version.............. 6.4.3
ACCM is Version........................ 3.2.5.1

All I can see from the logs is that there is a generic 1603 error meaning the installation failed. I could not find an Microsoft Installer log file.  A search on this community only returned one similar issue that was caused by "some type of DLL injection" and this KB article, that was not much help...

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB85033

This happens even if I use the ENS Removal tool to remove everything, and re-install.

McAfee log files are attached.

7 Replies
McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 8

Re: Problem Installing Threat Prevention Error 1603

Thank you for posting your question

I would suggest you to kindly run the sysprep tool on the client machine, restart the machine and then try installing Endpoint security. 

Please refer to the below link to download and use the sysprep tool

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Endpoint-Security-ENS/Download-McAfee-SysPrep-Tool/td-p/632436

If the issue still persists, We request you to kindly share the McAfee logs folder from the C:\Windows\Temp directory

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
ph0t0g
Level 8
Message 3 of 8

Unfortunately, I do not have access to the SysPrep tool. Attached is the McAfeeLogs folder from C:\Windows\Temp.

Thanks.

McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

From the logs you have shared I see the below mentioned error

Property(S): ENSPDCREATEDSETTINGSFILENAME = ENSPD_TP_Config_Setting.xml
Property(S): ERROR_ATP_LEFT_DURING_UNINSTALL = Please uninstall McAfee Endpoint Security Adaptive Threat Protection before removing this product.
Property(S): ERROR_TIE_LEFT_DURING_UNINSTALL = Please uninstall McAfee Endpoint Security Threat Intelligence before removing this product.
Property(S): ErrorDialog = SetupError

Please confirm me if you are trying to perform a fresh install or upgrade

Did you try running the sysprep utility. 

You may also take a look at the below link for more details on how to troubleshoot installation issue 

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/ePolicy-Orchestrator/HOW-TO-TROUBLESHOOT-CLIENT-UPDATE-DEPLOYMENT-FA...

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!
McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Do you find a sysprep log in the McAfee logs folder, if yes, can you let me know what do you see in that file 

Was my reply helpful?
ph0t0g
Level 8
Message 6 of 8

I saw those errors too. I completely uninstalled  all the modules using the Endpoint Product Removal tool. So I don't understand how it could think that Adaptive Threat Protection is still installed.

McAfeeEndpointProductRemoval.exe --accepteula --ALL --noreboot

Then checked to make sure everything was gone, rebooted the PC, then ran a script I created to reinstall each module in the order listed above. All the modules installed except Threat Prevention and Adaptive Threat Protection. 

I don't even know what McAfee Endpoint Security Threat Intelligence is. As far as I can tell that is something that is used with VSE.

Thanks again.

McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 8

The best thing here would be to log a SR with the McAfee Technical support team and provide them with the MER logs, Process Monitor logs and AMTrace logs

Please follow the below mentioned KB article to enable debug logging for ENS

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB83026 

Please follow the steps mentioned in the KB article to generate the MER logs 

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB72895

Please follow the steps mentioned in the below KB article to generate a procmon logshttps://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB50981  

Please follow the steps in the below KB article to collect the AMtrace logs

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB86691

Was my reply helpful?
McAfee Employee patrakshar
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Hello @ph0t0g 

ATP not getting installed because TP is not present. Looking at the log seems like when AMcore component installation failing here.

Failed Driver Install. launchINFSection for C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Threat Prevention\AMCore\Install\mfencbdc.inf

Are you seeing below location exist on the machine?

C:\Program Files\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Threat Prevention\AMCore\Install\
If yes, then can you reboot the machine and try the installation of TP component again?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community