cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Poor performance on Hyper-V server

Hello, I am new to McAfee, but we are experiencing an issue with a Hyper-V server in which performance is very slow. The PowerShell prompt does not load, and the McAfee Endpoint Security window does not load. When looking into Task Manager, I see a lot of the following processes: - AMCoreUpdater - cscript.exe - PowerShell.exe (not launched from our RMM) Could you help me to troubleshoot this?
10 Replies
cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 11

Re: Poor performance on Hyper-V server

What OS is this?  I would highly suggest opening a ticket with us so we can look at logs and see what is going on with the system.  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

It's Windows Server 2019 Datacenter Edition. I have a Service Request # 4-22628819401 open (I actually did not mean to post to the forum).

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 11

Your case hasn't been assigned yet, but you have listed the product as ens for servers.  That is just a scheduler for the on demand scans.  Are you running ens or move on the systems?  

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

I am not running anything, at least intentionally. I am only able to provide the symptoms from logging into the Hyper-V server.

If you could kindly provide me instructions on how to provide you with more information, I can facilitate that. I logged into the ePO console and there were no alerts for the server.

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 11

What I mean is, what antivirus software is installed on the vm's.  Most of the time performance issues can be resolved with the proper exclusions, but we first need to know what software might be causing it.  Identify the McAfee products installed, go to mer.mcafee.com and download the mer tool on system having performance issues.  Right-click on mer.exe, run as administrator, then instead of choosing all products, choose the specific products that are installed - for example, mcafee agent and endpoint security.  Once the mer has finished, choose to upload it to your SR with the case number and your email address so we can view the data.

Specify also what type of performance you are talking about.  High cpu, high memory, web page response times, or what exactly?  When does issue occur - during an update, on demand scan, or when performing certain tasks?  When user does X, things slow down?  The more detail you can give on the problem, the easier we can help pin it down.  

Was my reply helpful?

The problem is I cannot open a PowerShell prompt on the server (the VMs appear OK). Doing any task after logging into the server is extremely slow.

I cannot open the McAfee console on the Hyper-V server to check the products installed. How else can I find the specific product?

cdinet
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 11

Which server is having the problem - epo server or some other server?  Can you open the epo console on any other system?  It is a web based application, so you should be able to open it from any of your systems.

Was my reply helpful?

The affected server is not the ePO server. I can login to the ePO web console. Could you tell me where I should be looking in the ePO web console?

Our "mfetp.exe" process now has 65,676 Handles (viewed in Task Manager). We suspect a handle leak.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community