Did you mean: 
Zebu
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 8

Performance degraded with McAfee during compilation

Jump to solution

Hello,

I would like to ask for ideas / help. Our developers complaining about performance in connection with McAfee. We've started to do measures with different scenarios. 

- doing compilations and software checkouts without McAfee ENS, ATP installed

- run the test with McAfee installed and all the modules are disabled (Agent , ENS self protection, OAS, Access Protection, Exploit Prevention, ATP, DXL communication disabled )

The result is during a half our tests (ran several times) the performance difference around 10% - 12% if the ENS modules are off and not fully uninstalled.

Any idea why this difference is occurring? 

Thank you!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Re: Performance degraded with McAfee during compilation

Jump to solution

Hi @Zebu,

Excellent [point there! With merely the presence of our modules, Yes delays are still possible as Turning "OFF" the features does not completely avoid our dlls getting injected and hence by default a small amount of delay is indeed expected. However, I would still recommend an SR, just to be sure to have this investigated and validated from our end.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

7 Replies
vivs
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello,

There are couple of ways to check, If you are seeing issue with the performance in that case please run the McAfee Profiler tool and check the output.

Whenever the I/O operation will happen on the machine in that case OAS will come in the picture and scan the files.

If you have the files and location available in that case you can opt for the exclusions so the important files will not get scanned.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Zebu
Level 9
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi,

The problem is all the modules are disabled and therefore Profiler won't show any result.

And even all the modules are disable there is a 10-12% performance degradation compering to uninstalled scenario. 

AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @Zebu,

Thank you for your Post.
A difference in performance is certainly expected with the intervention of an AV program installed. Having said that,10 to 12% does seem quite undesirable and is best to get investigated.

In general AV softwares introduce delays because of the various scanning performed by different components present in it. I would strongly recommend opening an SR with a "smaller" program/build routine where the issue can be seen. We will recommend component isolation and isolate how much the performance is impacted (in terms of build time delays) because of each feature/component). We can then add exclusions with the help of logs and observations and see if that helps narrow down the time difference.

A Service Request would then be very helpful to see how much further we can reduce the delay.

*Note: There has been few fixes in the past to stabilize the product in terms of performance. I would strongly recommend upgrading to latest (N-1) version for all the above testing.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Zebu
Level 9
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi,

Thanks for the quick answer. 
Is AV softwares introduce delays because of the various scanning if the modules are disabled?
The current problem is not the exclusions which are missing and need to be added. If we are disable the modules there is a 10-12% performance degradation. Is it a normal behavior? 

AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @Zebu,

Excellent [point there! With merely the presence of our modules, Yes delays are still possible as Turning "OFF" the features does not completely avoid our dlls getting injected and hence by default a small amount of delay is indeed expected. However, I would still recommend an SR, just to be sure to have this investigated and validated from our end.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

Zebu
Level 9
Message 7 of 8

Jump to solution

Hello,

Another additional information which is very interesting. We have continued the measurements during these compilations and found the following:

- If no McAfee product is installed let's say this is 100%
- McAfee installed but all the modules are disabled - 118%  means 18% performance degradation.
- McAfee Agent installed only  - 117%  degradation 
- McAfee modules installed (ENS, ATP) and all the process exclusions added - 140%, means additional 40% time needed to finish the compilation process.

We have tried to run the tests with different antimalware solutions and the average performance degradation was 5-10%.

Any suggestion? If the Agent installed only, we required almost 20% additional time to finish the procedure, which is very strange. I repeat, no ENS or ATP was installed, only the Agent.

AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 8

Jump to solution

Hi @Zebu,

Thank you for your update. This is indeed very strange. The Agent is not expected to have any AV capabilities and hence should ahve minimal interference with the System functions overall. I would recommend having an SR open with the Agent Team to have this looked into.

For ENS, We can always configure more exclusions and fine tune ENS further and minimize the impact as needed.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community