Did you mean: 
mlajoie
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

Package Designer 10.7

Jump to solution

Using the new package designer -- created the package with no issues (at least, none that I know of).

When trying to install from the command line, using the ' ADDLOCAL="tp,atp,fw" ' switch, I always get "invalid input" and the pop-up with all the switches.

I'm hoping to use this to install ENS in a cleaner way than we are.  Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Re: Package Designer 10.7

Jump to solution

You can achieve your goal by using the Package Designer, however you need to build the package as to your desire (i.e. add/ removing the components you want to have installed) and then you will simply deploy that package without adding the installation command line options.

If you just want to deploy ENS via a third party tool without adding any update packages or specifying any pre-configuration, then I would advise you to simply use the regular package and use the install strings of your choice.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

9 Replies
chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi @mlajoie 

Thanks for posting on the Community!

Once you've created your package with the designer, there should be no need to use an install command to go along with it as the point of the Designer, is to create the desired package (you will already have defined which components to install within the designer).

Those command line options are only valid when you are using the original setupEP.exe file.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
mlajoie
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 10

Jump to solution

I want to use a third part tool (Symantec/Altiris) to deploy 10.7 for new installs as well as upgrades not for deploying from ePO.

I guess I'm confused.  How do you install the entire package, if you don't use setupep.exe?  There are the individual components but I don't see another way to install them other than that executable.  What am I missing?.  

chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Jump to solution

I see - well you'll only want to create a package via the Package Designer if you want to actually customise the installation package i.e. give the users only the option to deploy ENSTP and grey out the other options or if you want to install the package with preconfigured settings.

If you don't want to do this, you can simply use the regular setupEP file which you can download from the Product Downloads Webpage and then use the installation commands that you've specified.

It sounds like you are trying to combine these two options which is unnecessary and is the reason it's not working.

If you don't want to customise the installation package in anyway then take a look at the install guide which explains what you need to do in more detail: https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/endpoint-security-10.7.x-installation-guide-windows/page/GUID-F30D3A1...

Was my reply helpful?
mlajoie
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution
OK. I followed that link originally but now I understand the situation.

what i've done, then, is create a package with the package designer that I am trying to install with a third-part tool. Right? That's why it isn't working because it isn't designed to be used in that manner. Not sure how I got confused but I think I undertsand now.

We have a convoluted way to install the software and I was trying to just simplify it with one package to install with just a couple of commands. I guess that isn't possible?
chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Jump to solution

You can achieve your goal by using the Package Designer, however you need to build the package as to your desire (i.e. add/ removing the components you want to have installed) and then you will simply deploy that package without adding the installation command line options.

If you just want to deploy ENS via a third party tool without adding any update packages or specifying any pre-configuration, then I would advise you to simply use the regular package and use the install strings of your choice.

Was my reply helpful?

View solution in original post

mlajoie
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution
OK. So I can use 'setupep.exe' but just run that executable?
chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Jump to solution

Yes - if it's the setupEP.exe generated by the Package Designer then just run that, and don't specify any command line options.

Was my reply helpful?
mlajoie
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution
got it. thank you!
JoseRR
Level 10
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

Hi Chealey

Quick question here

It is possible to add the AMCore DAT by adding the executable V3_xxxxdat.exe as post-install task.

How about an ExtraDAT, is there anyway to add it to the package?

Thank you

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community