Did you mean: 
Poppels
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

On-demand scan status "canceled"

Jump to solution

Hey

I recently had a problem with one of my servers not receiveing two client tasks for scanning the system on a weekly schedule. It was resolved by reinstalling the Agent, ENS and Threat Protection on that server.

I have another problem now on the same server, along with one more server, and it is that they can't seem to finish neither the scheduled weekly scan nor the on-demand scans that I send to them.

I ran a client task yesterday for an on-demand scan through ePO with both of them as a target. I set the option to not expire until after 23hrs 59mins had elapsed.

The scan started 2020-04-22 09:08:42, according to masvc.log. I logged on to both servers to check the scanning process and I could see that it was running.
The scan was finished 2020-04-23 02:23:44. "The task Full Scan Endpoint was successful". This is 17 hours later. Normally, this job has a limit of 4 hours and all the other servers I've checked have been successful in running it.

The problem is, though, that it was not successful.

9.png

Nowhere in the log does it say anything that the task has encountered any problems. It only says that it was successful.

Did the scan get stuck somewhere, maybe some file that it was unable to scan?
Then why stop after 17 hours when I set the limit to ~24hrs? And why would this happen on two separate servers?

EDIT:
I went ahead to look for more log files and found the OnDemand logs in C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Logs
Both the normal and debug one tells me the scan was successful aswell, and that it was finished after 6hrs 48mins.

10.png

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: On-demand scan status "canceled"

Jump to solution

Hi @Poppels 

I can see for your last attempt you used a "Run Client Task Now". Could you instead schedule this task and see if that changes the value in the Console? If it still shows Cancelled, I would advise submitting an MER from the client to our Support Team for a full analysis.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

4 Replies
chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @Poppels 

I can see for your last attempt you used a "Run Client Task Now". Could you instead schedule this task and see if that changes the value in the Console? If it still shows Cancelled, I would advise submitting an MER from the client to our Support Team for a full analysis.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Poppels
Level 8
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

I think I understand the problem then. The window I look at won't show my on-demand scans, only the scheduled ones.

I still find it worrisome that it took over 6 hours to complete the Full Scan ENDPOINT, but I will check after the next scheduled run if it looks better.

chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Indeed - hence I asked you to verify the results with a scheduled task 🙂

The reasons for the task taking a long time could be many. Let's see how the scheduled task goes! Looking forward to your next updates.

Was my reply helpful?
Poppels
Level 8
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

All the scheduled scans went through fine this time. I've become more familiar with McAfee and the associated log files thanks to this community.

Thank you!

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community