cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Mcafee Process Validation Service high disk usage

Jump to solution

Hi, 
We have a user with Windows 10. A c: and d: drive.

When he access a large file area on the d:\drive - the mcafee process validation service processes max's out the disk usage and makes the machine useless until a reboot. 

Any suggestions? 

EpO and ENS with Threat Pervention

And we have the folders excluded from scanning. 

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
LV
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 7

Re: Mcafee Process Validation Service high disk usage

Jump to solution
I don't thing this problem belong to OS issue. After uninstall and re-install ENS on this machine (Agent still installed), McAfee Process Validation Service working with no problem.
With my additonal issues above, 1st can be resolved by re-install McAfee agent using flowing process (taking it one or more times):
"Go to System Tree -> Select Target System -> Actions -> Agent -> Deploy Agents". Problem is client not listening on port 8081.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
LV
Level 8
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

In somes case, this process using 100% CPU.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Are you using ENSFW? If yes, please ensure you don't have log all allowed traffic enabled.

Further you may also want to check your logging settings with the ENS Common policy - if you have everything set to log, try reducing what you are logging.

Similarly if you see many access protection events on the system, this may also trigger this behaviour.

LV
Level 8
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

In my case, ENSFW not installed.

ENS Common policy set to log everything with "Critical anf Alert" level on Client Logging. But all events send to McAfee ePO, not store in Windows Events log.

Device with this problem only use Microsoft Office 365, Adobe Acrobat DC/Reader and Browser.

Additional,I have some issue with McAfee.

1, I'm upgrading all client agent from 5.6.0.447 to 5.6.0.702 version using Product Deployment task. But some device cannot upgrade with unknown reason. Firewall is off, not install other AV product.

2, Some device cannot install Endpoint Security Adaptive Threat Protection and Endpoint Security Threat Protection modules. It only installed Endpoint Security Common and Web Control. Client devices using Windows 10 Profestional 64bit, version 1703/1709/1803/1809.

Jump to solution

This is interesting. 

O365 is installed on this machine too. 
There is a known 'file open' issue that MS is looking into. It may be a red-herring, or it may be related.

Either way, I also commented on this similar thread:

https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Endpoint-Security-ENS/Query-on-mfetp-exe/m-p/624765#M3919

Support believes it to be an OS issue at this time. 

LV
Level 8
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution
I don't thing this problem belong to OS issue. After uninstall and re-install ENS on this machine (Agent still installed), McAfee Process Validation Service working with no problem.
With my additonal issues above, 1st can be resolved by re-install McAfee agent using flowing process (taking it one or more times):
"Go to System Tree -> Select Target System -> Actions -> Agent -> Deploy Agents". Problem is client not listening on port 8081.

View solution in original post

alex1759
Level 7
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Windows 10 without an SSD is a nightmare. Especially the first days when all updates are done, systems with HDDs are practically unusable. It doesn't get much better after, either. Upgrade to an SSD (a small one just for the OS, any brand, any price), otherwise use Win7.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community