cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

McAfee profiler shows ENS processes

Jump to solution

Hi All, During McAfee profiler scan, I have noticed that below McAfee process are being scanned by On-Access Scanner. I don't see any point in scanning the operations performed by these McAfee processes.

I would like to know if this is safe to exclude below processes in OAS Low risk policy.

• mfewc.exe
  • mfetp.exe
  • mctray.exe
  • mfeatp.exe
  • masvc.exe
  • mfeesp.exe
  • UpdaterUI.exe
  • mfefw.exe
  • macompatsvc.exe
  • macmnsvc.exe

Thanks in advance.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 6 of 7

Re: McAfee profiler shows ENS processes

Jump to solution

Hi  ,

Try disabling those components and check if that makes any difference. Usually  McAfee processes will not cause any potential impact on box. At times it may impact a lag on a particular application due to its modules , however upon isolating the ENS Component & Fine tuning the policy , we can achieve the stability on the system.

Thanks .

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello ,

McAfee Profiles gives you the details about the File operations which are scanned by McAfee .These processes which is being scanned by McAfee would not cause any impact in the system. No need to have them added under any exclusion or defining it under low risk processes .

If there is any potential impact due to this , Feel free to raise a Service request recording the type of issue , procmom & AMRACE .

Thank you 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

@ryadav1 Users are reporting intermittent slowness issues so, I ran the McAfee profiler to see what file operations are being scanned. Interestingly, the McAfee processes shows under top 10 process list.

If these McAfee processes are not being scanned by OAS, any reason for showing in profiler? 

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi ,

i would rather suggest to run procmon and check  as that would provide more specifics in terms of performance .

whether or not there is an issue , McAfee profiles just lists out the top processes running on the box , doesn't really mean that these processes are causing any performance issue . 

Thank you 

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi @ryadav1 

As per KB50981, adding IRP_MJ_READ to ProcMon filter will cover all the files which are being scanned by OAS ? Or do we need to add any other filters to determine the files scanned by OAS ? 

Also, how to determine if the slowness is due to any other modules such as Exploit Prevention, access protection and ATP ?

Thanks in advance.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi  ,

Try disabling those components and check if that makes any difference. Usually  McAfee processes will not cause any potential impact on box. At times it may impact a lag on a particular application due to its modules , however upon isolating the ENS Component & Fine tuning the policy , we can achieve the stability on the system.

Thanks .

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Hello,

The customer asked the right question. Why is there no FIXED Option (Checkbox) do exclude the Mcafee Process itself? Please integrate that in your Debug/Analyse tool which help your to reduce your workload on your side. Don't tell him to open a stupid request or case just do it once.

I would also like to state that in the ten past years there have been some issues with False/Psotive on products to other products within mcafee itself (DLP etc.). So excludij Mcafee process and service in the profiler tool would be a good idea from that view?

You can monthly see this when you rollout a new mcafee monthly products in a TIE covered enviroement itself. (I don't mean the Microsoft Framework Code which is unique on each machine).

We never used to the tool again after some times. Also use Procmon for analyse and for Boot performance the WPA from Microsoft.

Greeting from a Mcafee Partner

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community