cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

McAfee Updater blocking reboots and shutdown

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have the some issue after upgrading from VSE to ENS. And McAfee Updater blocking reboots and shutdown. Have to choose to shutdown manually.

Thanks,

Vinay.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: McAfee Updater blocking reboots and shutdown

Jump to solution

I am seeing reports of the same issue upgrading from ENS August update to the 10.6.1 December update.  This is with agent version 5.5.1.388.

It looks like this is happening because some of the components get hung during the updating process.  I've seen this for Firewall and ATP where the setup is running continuously and then the user attempts to reboot they get "(Waiting for) McAfee Updater".

What version of ENS are you upgrading to?

Jump to solution
Thanks for the help. I have upgraded the Agent from 5.5.1.388 to 5.6.xxx and this has resolved the issue.
7 Replies

Jump to solution
How can I stop the McAfee Updater. It is still blocking shutdown and should I need to force shutdown the PC. Is there any way to stop the McAfee Updater?
Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 8

Jump to solution

Double check your policy for - McAfee Agent > General > Reboot options after product deployment (Windows only)

If this information was helpful or has answered your question, please select Accept as Solution. This will assist other memebers

Jump to solution
That option was not enabled in ePO Console. Is there any way to stop McAfee Updater ? How can we stop this manually in a Machine? Can we do Force shutdown?
McAfee Employee akatt
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 8

Jump to solution

Possibly related to this bug for the McAfee Agent:

1201012 - Found in MA 5.0.5;  Fixed in MA 5.0.6
Issue: If a group policy for system shutdown is enabled on Windows operating systems, MA fails to exit McTray.exe and prompts the UI to shut down the service manually.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB83895

An upgrade would be recommended, provided that the installed McAfee Agent version is, or is older than, the one listed above.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Reliable Contributor tao
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 8

Jump to solution

That option would need to be enabled when deploying IF you would like the system to reboot - Prompt User When a Reboot is Required - Specifies whether the user of a managed system is prompted to reboot the system after a software installation that REQUIRES a reboot of the system.

https://kc.mcafee.com/resources/sites/MCAFEE/content/live/PRODUCT_DOCUMENTATION/27000/PD27372/en_US/...

The Force automatic reboot after (seconds) option is only for deployments where a restart is forced. The VSE installation just RECOMMENDS a restart, so this parameter is not relevant.

Use the following command line option during deployment: REBOOT=A will force a reboot no matter what.

As for a force shutdown/reboot after deployment  - Take a look at : https://community.mcafee.com/t5/ePolicy-Orchestrator/Run-external-commands/td-p/508695

If this information was helpful or has answered your question, please select Accept as Solution. This will assist other memebers
Highlighted

Jump to solution

I am seeing reports of the same issue upgrading from ENS August update to the 10.6.1 December update.  This is with agent version 5.5.1.388.

It looks like this is happening because some of the components get hung during the updating process.  I've seen this for Firewall and ATP where the setup is running continuously and then the user attempts to reboot they get "(Waiting for) McAfee Updater".

What version of ENS are you upgrading to?

Jump to solution
Thanks for the help. I have upgraded the Agent from 5.5.1.388 to 5.6.xxx and this has resolved the issue.
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center