Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 3

McAfee Scanner Service running high cpu with On Access policy not enabled

Jump to solution

I have a machine where the McAfee scanner service is running high CPU (around 98%) however its still the same when I change the Threat Provention policy for On Access scanning to a policy where its not enabled.

Has anyone else seen this type of behaviour on a device.

Regards

Fal

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
McAfee Employee dmcgeary
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee Scanner Service running high cpu with On Access policy not enabled

Jump to solution

Probably an ODS running. Check the ODS log. 

in run line type %deflogdir%
look at OnDemandScan_Activity.log to confirm 

KB88205 covers some of this topic. 

2 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee dmcgeary
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 3

Jump to solution

Probably an ODS running. Check the ODS log. 

in run line type %deflogdir%
look at OnDemandScan_Activity.log to confirm 

KB88205 covers some of this topic. 

Jump to solution

I have had a similar issue which Tech Support could not resolve.  At about 5:00 pm most days, McAfee Scanner Service started and CPU usage spiked to 90+%, rendering my computer basically unusable at the time of day when I have been trying to complete time-critical work.  McAfee UI did not indicate that a scan or update was running, and MVT did not detect any issues.  Today, a light bulb went off:  could Win10 have started something?  Sure enough, Task Scheduler in Win10 Control Panel has a task:  "DAD.Execute.Updates" triggered to start the program:  "C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\DynamicAppDownloader\DADUpdater.exe" at 5:01 pm.  I reset the trigger to fire at 5:00 am

McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.