Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rkokic
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

McAfee Profiler Usage

Jump to solution

New to the usage of McAfee Profiler.  If CPU utilization on the system is low but receiving compalints of application performance, should I use Profiler displaying the applications' service at 11% as a catalyst of creating a Process Exclusion?  Or is that a percentage well below any level of concern...

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Re: McAfee Profiler Usage

Jump to solution

Profiler will show you top processes and paths being scanned. Based on this you can evaluate process / path exclusions to set. However you need to be careful when setting exclusions as they make your system more vunerable. Exclusions should be kept to a minimum and only be set when a certain application/ path requires these to be set - for an application, the vendor of the product will be able to advise on which exclusions are safe to set.

I don't think that 11% is high, especially not if the overall CPU usage on the system is low.

If you are seeing application performance, check with the vendor for recommeded AV exclusions.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
4 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Profiler will show you top processes and paths being scanned. Based on this you can evaluate process / path exclusions to set. However you need to be careful when setting exclusions as they make your system more vunerable. Exclusions should be kept to a minimum and only be set when a certain application/ path requires these to be set - for an application, the vendor of the product will be able to advise on which exclusions are safe to set.

I don't think that 11% is high, especially not if the overall CPU usage on the system is low.

If you are seeing application performance, check with the vendor for recommeded AV exclusions.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Reliable Contributor bretzeli
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution
We where in the boat with all profiler version during early 10.2/10.5/10.6. They tool has som many bugs you want believe. But that's ok since it's a mcafee internal tool which they gave to public.

On the hand it's something for people who don't understand how to use Systernals Procexp or regmon.exe with filters and child process.

No we had a thought

Why don't they do that on each client and report that to the EPO. They scan all and everything anyway.
There is an approach on that with the TIME TO SCAN value they send back.

That would help customer identify process which ARE under timeout but makes APPS slow and COULD be excluded with LOW Level RISK split policy.

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

@bretzeli can you imagine the performance impact such a report would have on the client and for the ePO database. The amount of data that would be collected would be extortionate.

As you said, McAfee Profiler is meant to be an easy to use tool for customers to get a rough idea of what processes and paths are being scanned the most. This tool is a troubleshooting aid which does help customers identify potential processes to be added as low risk processes.

Please feel free to add an IDEA to our IDEAS forum. Our engineering team may be able to create something to meet your needs.

Was my reply helpful?
Reliable Contributor bretzeli
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution
We already have around 30 ideas in IDEAS Forum. Never got payed by McAfee for it nore did we get an Amazon voucher. ;-)
McAfee ePO Support Center Plug-in
Check out the new McAfee ePO Support Center. Simply access the ePO Software Manager and follow the instructions in the Product Guide for the most commonly used utilities, top known issues announcements, search the knowledgebase for product documentation, and server status and statistics – all from within ePO.