cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Martin71
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 6

McAfee Endpoint Security Storage Protection (local account on scan-server)

Hello,

we are moving from McAfee VSES 1.3 to ENS Storage Protection.

In VSES 1.3 we configured a local user in the service "McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage" because the user in the VSES Policy is not working. Everything was fine.

Now we tested a server with ENS Storage Protection. 

The configured user in the policy is not working. I look for the service to configure the user in the service. But there is, with ENS no Storage protection service. I don´t know where i have to configure this local user. 

In the product documentation i found this sentence:  If this option is not selected, you must set up an individual account for each locally installed Endpoint Security Storage Protection connection.

Ok this is what i like to do ..... but where i have to set up this user on the local scan-server?

Thanks for your help

5 Replies
yaz
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee Endpoint Security Storage Protection (local account on scan-server)

Hi @Martin71 

Thanks for reaching out to McAfee Community.

It looks like you needed to understand on local set up for an user in the scan server. 

Can you kindly confirm if you upgraded from ePO or is this a standalone set up?

Was my reply helpful?

If yes, Please give me a Kudo. If I have answered your query, kindly mark this as solution so that we help other community members together. 

Martin71
Level 8
Message 3 of 6

Hello, 

thanks for your answer.

The old installation was VSES 1.3 and VSE 8.8

I sent the installation packages for ENS and ENS Storage via EPO.

The Storage Scan-Server is a EPO managed Server

Martin71
Level 8
Message 4 of 6

Hi again,

in the past, in VSES 1.3 in the McAfee VirusScan Enterprise for Storage Service we set the user in the Log On Tab. We choose "with this account" and not Local System account.

Blissitt
Level 7
Message 5 of 6

Hello Martin,

I had composed a very detailed reply, but Musahabra's lovely website here ate it when I included a number sign/hashtag (#).  😞  I will provide a shortened version below.

We have the same questions/problems you have and I submitted Service Request 4-22627945471 with McAfee.  The one thing I've done since talking to McAfee is to make sure our domain (service) account is a member of the local Administrators group on our SVMs, not just on the Windows virus-scanning servers.  I would normally use Computer Management in Windows to do that, but I got an RPC error, so I used something like the following command on the NetApp side.  I don't know if this step will help, and based on our experience, it may take a few days for McAfee to stop working again (if it's going to stop working).

vserver cifs users-and-groups local-group add-members -vserver mysvm -group-name BUILTIN\Administrators -member-names DOMAIN\domainaccount

Ted
Level 7
Message 6 of 6

You configure the user locally this way

1. Open the Endpoint Security Client.
  2. On the top-right corner, click v  and then select Settings
  3. On the left pane, click Storage Protection.
  4. On the top-right corner, click Show Advanced.
  5. Under NETAPP Filer, select Enable NetApp Filler to enable the NetApp scanner.
  6. In the Connections section, configure the filers list that the scan server protects, and create a user account with proper permissions such as, read, write, and backup for all filers:

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/endpoint-security-storage-protection-2.0.x-product-guide/page/GUID-35...

You will need to remove the checkbox in EPO to configure user or it will overwrite local settings.

There appears to be a bug in 2.1.0, maybe prior versions, where the user account credentials in the EPO policy arent stored or used correctly. Debug logging and adlockout tools show bad password. I have only been able to make it work by configuring the credentials locally using above method.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community