Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jim_M
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 10

McAfee Agent 5.6.3.157 Breaks Updates

All, I'm seeing a very strange issue with an upgrade from Endpoint Protection 10.6.11907 with agent version 5.6.2.209 to EndPoint Protection 10.7.0.1285 and agent 5.6.3.157.  These upgrades were installed on our 10 standalone Windows Server 2016 servers.  Once the upgrade was completed it was observed that none of the servers were getting their daily DAT file updates.  When an attempt was made to run the update manually an error "Update Failed, Check update log for details" was displayed.  I attempted to check the Default Client Update and Source Site for Updates settings but both displayed "Error loading settings".  I also attempted to recycle the Agent service but all of the service setting are grayed out as if I don't have permissions (I do have domain admin and local admin permissions).  I did some digging and found some articles with some pointers but none of the helped.  The only solution that I've found that works is to install the "McAfee_Endpoint_Security_10.7.0.667.6_standalone_client_install" which installs Agent version 5.6.1.308 and not install Agent version 5.6.3.157.   With the 5.6.1.308 agent version updates work perfectly but as soon as the newer version is installed updates no longer work.  These servers are all hardened to current DISA STIG requirements but I don't think that's an issue as prior upgrades worked properly.

9 Replies
YashT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Re: McAfee Agent 5.6.3.157 Breaks Updates

Hello Jim,

Greetings !

Could you please give one of your system a reboot and check after the upgrade if that works.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
Jim_M
Level 8
Message 3 of 10

YashT,

All of the servers were rebooted after the agent upgrade and it did not make a difference.

Jim

AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 10

Hi @Jim_M,

Thank you for your post. Please open Endpoint Security Client UI and click on "Update Now" Button. Now, May I know what error you find in the log located here:

C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Logs

Log File Name: PackageManager_Activity.log

Kindly please upload the log file if possible!

Also, just to be sure, we are looking at standalone /unmanaged installations of Endpoint Security right?

May I know where you obtained the 5.6.3 McAfee Agent package from?

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Jim_M
Level 8
Message 5 of 10

Adithyan T,

I've attached the requested log and error message I receive when attempting an update.  Yes these are unmanaged standalone installations and the Agent 5.6.3 package was downloaded from Product Downloads using our grant number.

Jim

LKS
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 10

Thank you for an update. So these machines are not managed by EPO if am not wrong. Was it working before an upgrade. Is the same machine able to update DAT. 

Jim_M
Level 8
Message 7 of 10

LKS,

All of the servers are unmanaged servers and were able to successfully update their DAT files nightly, after the upgrade none of them are able to obtain updates.  I do have them all working now by uninstalling Endpoint Protection and the Agent and then just reinstalling Endpoint Protection and not the 5.6.3.157 Agent upgrade

Jim

LKS
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 10

Hi Jim_M,

I would like to know how exactly did you upgrade ENS and Agent. I mean the sequence that you followed to upgrade both. I try to reproduce inhouse. Incase if am unable to reproduce, it might be your specific environmental issue. We would required proper logs and service request to investigate further.

Was my reply helpful?

If you find this post useful, please give it a Kudos! Also, please don't forget to select "Accept as a Solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Jim_M
Level 8
Message 9 of 10

The upgrades were done as follows:

1. Endpoint Protection was upgraded from version 10.6.11907 to version 10.7 using the McAfee_Endpoint_Security_10.7.0.667.6_standalone_client_install downloaded from Product Downloads using our grant number

2.  Upon successful completion of the Endpoint Protection upgrade the Agent was upgraded using the MA563WIN package also downloaded from the Product Downloads section

AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Hi @Jim_M,

Thank you for your kind update and helping us with the requested details.

Form the looks of it, PackageManager_Activity.log has not been very helpful.

For unmanaged endpoints, update task activities are logged in these 2 log files only!

PackageManager_Activity.log and PackageManager_Debug.log.

I am suspecting that the update now button does not have an update task configuration set to run the same. However, this would need a better analysis collaborating with the McAfee Agent team.

At this point, I would recommend creating a Service Request where ENS team can collaborate with McAfee Agent team to identify and isolate the issue and troubleshoot accordingly if the issue is reproducible at will.

Also, please ensure the issue comes up after upgrading to latest McAfee Agent and then rebooting the machine as well!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community