cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Re: How to enable Web Control on Edge

Hi,

Thanks for you help but we are still not there.

Note "Sideloaded Apps" is enabled.

The mcAfeeWebControl.appx does not run from explorer (with the message "how do you want to open this file), trying to run from Powershell gives the impression it has run with a progress bar but when opening Edge gives no request to eble the extension and nothing is present in extensions.

The Microsoft stoere is blocked at firewall level but I would not expect that to be the issue.

Any further suggestions?

Regards,

Julian

Former Member
Not applicable
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 12 of 14

Hmmm sounds like maybe something isn't correctly installed on your system to be honest. You should just be able to click the mcAfeeWebControl.appx and it opens an App Installer Window which will then install the missing app package. This is a necessary step for the extension to be enabled on Edge. There must be some GPO or something else blocking the initialisation of this app installer.
AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 13 of 14

Hi @julian.floyd,

Thanks for your detailed responses. can you also check if App Installer is accessible on your device. ".appx" files are handled by App installer program that should be associated with the same for appx  file to launch the install wizard of App installer.

Please visit Start --> Settings --> Apps and use the search list to confirm App Installer is present (It should be, I don't see a way to remove it!) and now please select Default Apps --> scroll down to the bottom to select Choose default apps by File type. Now please ensure ".appx" is mapped to App Installer.

I sincerely hope this gives us an understandable error that we can work on (since powershell is also capable of running the appx files, however, does not seem to give us much information on the failure). My bet is on GPO changes though, you can try assigning the default policy to see if that helps on a test machine as well!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 14 of 14

Hi @julian.floyd 

I could not agree more with @Former Member. This is pretty weird! If it is just happening on one endpoint, and even after following the above steps don't help, I would recommend going in for a re-installation of just web control and see if that helps.

You can uninstall the component directly from control panel if there is no self protection preventing you from doing it. Else, you can push a uninstall task for only Web Control (same as installation task, except that action drop down is selected to "remove").You can re-deploy just Web Control using a task again from ePO.

I am sure this is not the most technical response you would get here, but should save you some time if the above suggestions do not help you. If you can upgrade to a newer version, it is even better! Good luck! Do keep us posted how it goes!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community