Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwoodmls
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 12

High mcshield cpu usage after reboot - ENS

I have some workstations that i'm monitoring where they have had high CPU usage after rebooting for quite awhile that is tied to mcshield.exe.  These are running ENS and are managed by ePO.  The on-demand scan is set to run overnight, and the computers are on during that time, so i don't think it should be running that on reboot. 

I'm still learning to tweak settings, particularly with ENS, so any suggestions on things i may check would be helpful.  Even to lower that CPU usage a little or reduce how long it is high. 

11 Replies
Kenchee_etf
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 12

Re: High mcshield cpu usage after reboot - ENS

Hello @jwoodmls 

Can you check in you have "Scan processes on service startup and content update" enabled in policy:

*** McAfee Endpoint Security 10.6.0 - Threat Prevention Client Interface Reference Guide - Windows
https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/endpoint-security-10.6.0-threat-prevention-client-interface-reference...

and if you do, can you un-check it and see if that resolves the issue?

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?
jwoodmls
Level 10
Message 3 of 12

@Kenchee_etfThank you for that little tip.  I checked that out and I do not have that box checked.

Just out of curiousity, what's the difference between Enable On-Access Scan and Enable On-Access Scan on system startup?  I have both of those selected.

Any other tips greatly appreciated.

Kenchee_etf
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 12

Hello @jwoodmls 

"Enable On-Access Scan on system startup" is making sure that OAS is always enabled when system starts/reboots regardless of policy enforcement interval comparing to "Enable On-Access Scan".

For example, you disabled OAS, policy enforcement occurs, in most environment every 60 min by default, and ENS re-enables OAS at that time.

If you disable OAS and reboot machine it will stay disabled till next enforcement interval kicks in to "Enable On-Access Scan" unless you have "Enable On-Access Scan on system startup" checked, which will enable OAS right away.

I hope I am explaining myself properly.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, will you please select Accept as Solution in my reply and together we can help other members?

Do you have default scanning set to Let Mcafee Decide?   That is important.  

jwoodmls
Level 10
Message 6 of 12

@Daveb3d Yes under the on-access scan it does have under process types: Standard When to scan "Let McAfee decide" selected.  I take it that is the spot you are referring to?

SWISS
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 7 of 12

2020-08-13 10_57_21-w10 - VMware Workstation.png

2020-08-13 10_59_21-w10 - VMware Workstation.png

Screenshot, German EPO 5.9 Policy, ENS 10.7 POLICY "ON ACCESS SCAN"

You can discuss two days what the other person means or simply use a picture 😉

This is sooo dangerous......

jwoodmls
Level 10
Message 8 of 12

firefox_oDyTN9KEkC.png

SWISS
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 9 of 12

Yes correct that is the point he talked about in English.

jwoodmls
Level 10
Message 10 of 12

So is that setting causing me a problem?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community