cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Firewall rule local and remote port clarification

Jump to solution

Hi, this might be a very basic matter but I'm having trouble understanding what is the difference and implications between blocking local and remote ports in the ENS Firewall. I trued to look this options up in the product documentation but it has not helped much. Can anyone here provide simplified, maybe even infantile description and example of proper usage this function?  Thank you in advance!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 4

Re: Firewall rule local and remote port clarification

Jump to solution

@HugsNotDrugs To elaborate further on chealey's accurate statement, with an example:

I have a certain application installed on my local PC. It has to reach port 8081 on a remote PC, if I needed to block that from occurring, I would have to implement a remote port block for 8081. This is because while I'm targeting port 8081 on the other PC, my PC could be using any numbered port to exit my system--one time it may use 3345 and another it may use 2431. 
If I'm trying to block the remote system from replying over 8081 to my system, then I would need to use a local block rule against 8081. It may be coming at my PC from another random port number, but the firewall is looking to block the known part of the traffic.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

3 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

These terminologies are not solely related to our products, hence the product guide doesn't go into detail about how to use them. The local port is generally your PC port and tends to be dynamic. The remote port is the one the tends to be defined i.e. 443 or 80

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
Reliable Contributor vnaidu
Reliable Contributor
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

@HugsNotDrugs 

I had the same confusion last month, because I cannot migrate some port blocking rules from VSE to ENS and hence I had to create a firewall rule to block certain port and hence I tried to create a rule and used local port for which the rule is not listening.

After that I tried to change it to remote port worked successfully, this is due to which we do not use local ports for most of the time. So in our environmental scenario we mostly depend upon the remote ports. So I wish this clarifies your question.

Regards,

Venu
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

@HugsNotDrugs To elaborate further on chealey's accurate statement, with an example:

I have a certain application installed on my local PC. It has to reach port 8081 on a remote PC, if I needed to block that from occurring, I would have to implement a remote port block for 8081. This is because while I'm targeting port 8081 on the other PC, my PC could be using any numbered port to exit my system--one time it may use 3345 and another it may use 2431. 
If I'm trying to block the remote system from replying over 8081 to my system, then I would need to use a local block rule against 8081. It may be coming at my PC from another random port number, but the firewall is looking to block the known part of the traffic.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • Visit: Business Service Portal
  • More: Search Knowledge Articles
  • ePolicy Orchestrator Support

• Download the new ePolicy Orchestrator (ePO) Support Center Extension which simplifies ePO management and provides support resources directly in the console. Learn more about ePO Support Center