cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Exploit Prevention

Jump to solution

We have disabled the Exploit prevention from McAfee ENS settings. But we are still receiving the below alerts in ExploitPrevention_Activity.log

3/8/2019 7:38:34 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 7:38:45 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 7:38:55 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 8:08:35 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 8:08:45 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 8:38:38 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 8:38:48 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 9:08:40 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 9:08:50 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 9:38:43 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 9:38:53 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.
3/8/2019 10:08:45 AM mfetp(6888.20128) TmpLogger.Gbop.Activity: ExP:Illegal API Use was detected as an attempt to exploit C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\WINDOWSPOWERSHELL\V1.0\POWERSHELL.EXE, which targeted the AtlComPtrAssign API. It wasn't blocked because Exploit Prevention was set to Report Only.

1.) Why Exploit prevention is generating logs if it is disabled?

2.) Is there any significance of these logs?

McAfee Endpoint Security 

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Re: Exploit Prevention

Jump to solution

I would strongly suggest to upgrade. We had a known issue with this exploit prevention rule triggering even though it was disabled: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90074

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

@saurabh_tiwari Your situation is an extension of the same bug which chealey is referencing. An upgrade is highly advised and would be required to resolve your issue. 

We cannot state that it would be safe to ignore the logs until upgrade as we do not advise running without Exploit Prevention enabled as doing so lessens your security. Also, despite the fact that this rule is triggering while disabled and that is a flaw in intended functionality, the actions which are triggering the rule themselves are a legitimate trigger of the rule, and so that means the criteria for that exploit prevention rule is being met, and we cannot guarantee that there is not a threat in the meeting of that exploit criteria.

If you choose to proceed with Exploit Prevention disabled and ignore these reports until your upgrade, that is your choice, not our recommendation.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

5 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Would you be able to confirm the ENS version in use?

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

We are using McAfee ENS version 10.5.3.3178

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

I would strongly suggest to upgrade. We had a known issue with this exploit prevention rule triggering even though it was disabled: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90074

Was my reply helpful?
Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi Chealey,

As per the link, Exploit prevention is generating logs for disabled ID's. But in our case whole exploit prevention module is disabled. And ENS is still triggering the logs.  PFB image for reference.

exploit_prevention.pngExploit Prevention Disabled

If this is a bug than it is safe to ignore the logs until upgrade?

McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

@saurabh_tiwari Your situation is an extension of the same bug which chealey is referencing. An upgrade is highly advised and would be required to resolve your issue. 

We cannot state that it would be safe to ignore the logs until upgrade as we do not advise running without Exploit Prevention enabled as doing so lessens your security. Also, despite the fact that this rule is triggering while disabled and that is a flaw in intended functionality, the actions which are triggering the rule themselves are a legitimate trigger of the rule, and so that means the criteria for that exploit prevention rule is being met, and we cannot guarantee that there is not a threat in the meeting of that exploit criteria.

If you choose to proceed with Exploit Prevention disabled and ignore these reports until your upgrade, that is your choice, not our recommendation.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community