cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Error loading settings

I've seen 'Error loading settings' when opening the ENS Threat Prevention window on several systems. It appears to happen when an install or upgrade of the product goes wrong. There's no way, that I've been able to identify, to detect which system have this issue in ePO. The only way I've ever known about it is by opening up the ENS TP window while logged in to the console of a system. To fix the issue I've always had to uninstall the existing product and then install it again.

Does 'Error Loading Settings' mean the product is not working at all or is it just a dispaly issue?

Is there any way to identify which systems have this issue via ePO?

4 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Error loading settings

There are a couple of scenarios where this can occur:

1. sometimes when the system is under a lot of load and is experiecing performance issues, the GUI can fail to load correctly

2. we had a known issue back in earlier versions of ENS (can't remember which version exactly) but the issue is no longer present in the current versions

3. there is a genuine issue with the installation - potentially some of the services haven't launched correctly at system start or an incomplete upgrade scenario has left the installation broken

The easiest way to check if ENS is still working, is an EICAR test.

Depending on the issue seen on the machine itself, you will or won't see this in ePO. The best query to check is the ENS Compliance queries but in most scenarios I've come across, there is no way of identifying this issue via ePO.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

EICAR test appears to be a manual endevour that must be performed manually on the end node. No way to deploy this test via ePO on all your systems?

Are there no plans to include the EICAR test in ePO so you can get a report of system that have this issue?

I can confirm this next time I find a system with this issue myself by running the EICAR test manually, but does anyone happen to know if typically ENS TP is not working at all when this issue occurs or does the EICAR test usually work (meaning the product is working it's just got a display issue). If it's typically just a display issue on the end node then this issue isn't that important and I won't worry too much about it. However, if typically the product is not working at all when this condition is present this is very important and there should be a way to detect the issue in ePO.

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 5

I'm not aware of any plans to include it within ePO but I quite like the idea. Would be good one to add in our IDEAS forum: https://community.mcafee.com/t5/Business-Ideas/idb-p/business-ideas

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community