Did you mean: 
Highlighted
ph0t0g
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Error When Installing Endpoint Security Platform Remotely

Jump to solution

I can install Endpoint Security Platform manually on a computer when logged in directly, but when I try to install it remotely (either with psexec or PowerShell Invoke-Command) the installation fails. McAfee Agent is version 5.6.1.308 and ESP is 10.6.11910.

The first error I find is in the Common Bootstrapper Log listed below. It says he VSCore failed to install. All the logs are included in the attached .zip file.

Thanks.

19/11/2019 11:15:28.481 [7128] [BootstrapperMain] C:\NEC\Mc_Upgd_All\b\\vscore_all.cab
19/11/2019 11:15:28.481 [7128] [BootstrapperMain] Found Install ALL cab file
19/11/2019 11:15:28.543 [7128] [BootstrapperMain] Copied from C:\NEC\Mc_Upgd_All\b\\mfehidin64.exe to C:\NEC\Mc_Upgd_All\b\\mfehidin.exe
19/11/2019 11:15:28.543 [7128] [BootstrapperMain] "C:\NEC\Mc_Upgd_All\b\\mfehidin.exe" -installcab:"vscore_all.cab" -guid:{EA334ECD-7513-486B-A265-0C698FACBB06} -log:"C:\Users\PETERC~1.SA\AppData\Local\Temp\\McAfeeLogs\McAfee_Common_VSCore_Install_All_19112019111528481.log" -etl:"C:\Users\PETERC~1.SA\AppData\Local\Temp\\McAfeeLogs\McAfee_Common_VSCore_Install_All_19112019111528481.etl"
19/11/2019 11:15:28.543 [7128] [BootstrapperMain] RunCommandLine: "C:\NEC\Mc_Upgd_All\b\\mfehidin.exe" -installcab:"vscore_all.cab" -guid:{EA334ECD-7513-486B-A265-0C698FACBB06} -log:"C:\Users\PETERC~1.SA\AppData\Local\Temp\\McAfeeLogs\McAfee_Common_VSCore_Install_All_19112019111528481.log" -etl:"C:\Users\PETERC~1.SA\AppData\Local\Temp\\McAfeeLogs\McAfee_Common_VSCore_Install_All_19112019111528481.etl"
19/11/2019 11:15:48.44 [7128] [BootstrapperMain] RunCommandLine: Process return code : 4294967295
19/11/2019 11:15:48.44 [7128] [BootstrapperMain] VSCore Installation Return value : 4294967295
19/11/2019 11:15:48.44 [7128] [BootstrapperMain] VSCore Error 0x20003041 Message: Error while stopping McAfee service.

19/11/2019 11:15:48.44 [7128] [BootstrapperMain] VSCore Installation failed!!

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: Error When Installing Endpoint Security Platform Remotely

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting your query

From the logs you have shared appears to me that Vscore has failed to install

Please try the below steps

Reset the VTP cache locally. This reset allows these applications to no longer be listed as untrusted:
Press the Windows key and type cmd.exe in the search box.
Shift+right-click cmd.exe in the results, click Run as A Different User, and run as a local or domain admin.

NOTES:
Do not use the Run as Administrator option, as it might be blocked.
Depending on your operating system, you might need to right-click and click Open File Location first.

Run the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\System Core\vtpinfo.exe" /resetvtpcache

Restart the affected systems in Safe mode, and then restart in normal mode again.

Run the Endpoint product removal tool, restart the machine and then try installing ENS

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

View solution in original post

3 Replies
McAfee Employee Thussain
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Thank you for posting your query

From the logs you have shared appears to me that Vscore has failed to install

Please try the below steps

Reset the VTP cache locally. This reset allows these applications to no longer be listed as untrusted:
Press the Windows key and type cmd.exe in the search box.
Shift+right-click cmd.exe in the results, click Run as A Different User, and run as a local or domain admin.

NOTES:
Do not use the Run as Administrator option, as it might be blocked.
Depending on your operating system, you might need to right-click and click Open File Location first.

Run the following command:

"C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\System Core\vtpinfo.exe" /resetvtpcache

Restart the affected systems in Safe mode, and then restart in normal mode again.

Run the Endpoint product removal tool, restart the machine and then try installing ENS

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

View solution in original post

McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi @ph0t0g,

Thank you for your post! Can you kindly confirm using what User Account the powershell or psexec commands are being run with? Have you tried deploying via ePO and confirm that your domain admin credentials work fine for installation?

*Note: I would like to suggest you to remove the log files to avoid any sensitive data being posted here from the logs. Since Community is a publicly available website, sanitizing the log files before uploading them is very important.

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
ph0t0g
Level 8
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

Yes, I have tried using ePO, but sometimes ePO does not work. We have about 5,000 PC's and about 200 or so could not be upgraded with ePO each time a new version comes out. So I created a powershell script to upgrade the remainder.

I use my own domain account to run powershell or psexec commands. That account is has administrative rights on all PC's.  I use an elevated command prompt or powershell ISE session.

I have posted the powershell script as an attachment for anyone else that might find it useful.

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community