cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Endpoint Security Migration Assistant

Jump to solution

Hi,

Does anybody know how long it normally takes for the Migration assistant to complete as I started it last nuight an dit immediately went to 100% but has been sitting there for 11+ hours. I ran the Automatic migration and renamed the policies b ut it just doesnt seem to want to complete for some reason. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Thanks

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 7 of 10

Re: Endpoint Security Migration Assistant

Jump to solution

Oh wow. Adaptive mode should not be left enabled for more than a week and it should only be enabled on a couple of test machines. So likely that the database is incredibly full. I would condiser not migrating those HIPS rules/ policies as they are probably causing the issue.

Especially for the firewall part I would consider starting from scratch. ENSFW has it's own adaptive mode which you can enable. If you decide to do this, please consider only enabling it on a few machines and only for a limited amount of time so that you can go in and configure the rules you want and need. Your current HIPS installation won't be blocking anything at the moment either, so you have a product deployed which is using system resources and isn't providing you with any further proctection.

If you have a lot of VSE policy items you'd like to keep, try isolating those using the manual migration and just migrating those. Any migrated policies should be reviewed anyway just to check you still want certain configuration in place.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
9 Replies
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 10

Jump to solution

Shouldn't take nearly that long but depends really on the size and complexity of your policies.

Do you see any migrated policies?

If you look at the server task log and drill down into the details, do you see what it's stuck on?

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

Hi,

I would say we don't have a large group of policies. From memory it only analysed around 200 when starting the assistant and came out with about 40 that I had to rename during the process.

I cannot see any Endpoint Security Policies being created in the catalog so seems like it has not even started with this.

The task log itself just shows 'Started: Migrate to Endpoint Security' at 21:34 last night and nothing else.

Thanks

Jump to solution
I did see the same issue when just running a manual migration on the Host IPS Catalog before trying the full automatic. Would it be worth terminating this task which requires a server reboot then doing the policies and client tasks individually using the manual process to see if they complete.
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 10

Jump to solution

OK - above that task in the server task log - do you see any entries such as Policy "Merged Policy" (Endpoint Security) with the Source "Policy Catalog?

Did you select automatic or manual migration? If manual, what did you select (just policies,...)
>> based on your last response just now, I assume an automatic one!

Which version of the Migration Assistant and ePO are you using? If not the latest Migration Assistant, I would suggest trying the latest.

Ultimatley the orion.log of your ePO server, will show you what is going on. It may also be worth giving support a call so we can assist you on a remote. The task should run through fairly swiftly - definitly not almost 24h. I'm not aware of any known issues so could be a number of things.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution
Yes I performed a Automatic migration for the task that is currently running. Assistant in use is 10.6.1.1012 which is showing as current version.
Looking at the orion log there seems to be a lot of warnings and errors in relation to Host IPs rules and migrating them which sits with my thinking this is the issue. Cannot get in at moment but from looking earlier I sure it was showing 30k+ rules in the Host IPS 8.0 catalog.
We run the current firewall in adaptive mode so is it worth migrating the current catalog if it is causing so many issues or would it be best practice just to start it from scratch. My thinking is just to leave this and get the policies and task over and start from there with Endpoint Security.
McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 10

Jump to solution

Oh wow. Adaptive mode should not be left enabled for more than a week and it should only be enabled on a couple of test machines. So likely that the database is incredibly full. I would condiser not migrating those HIPS rules/ policies as they are probably causing the issue.

Especially for the firewall part I would consider starting from scratch. ENSFW has it's own adaptive mode which you can enable. If you decide to do this, please consider only enabling it on a few machines and only for a limited amount of time so that you can go in and configure the rules you want and need. Your current HIPS installation won't be blocking anything at the moment either, so you have a product deployed which is using system resources and isn't providing you with any further proctection.

If you have a lot of VSE policy items you'd like to keep, try isolating those using the manual migration and just migrating those. Any migrated policies should be reviewed anyway just to check you still want certain configuration in place.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution
Thanks for the help, I managed to run the automatic migration after finding a script to remove all of the dynamic rules from the database. Took approx. 10 Minutes after that was done.

Peter
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 9 of 10

Jump to solution

@peterhardy Glad to hear that it worked out! 

McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 10

Jump to solution

@peterhardy Keep in mind as well that when your HIPS/FW is in adaptive mode, it's not giving you any protection. The purpose of that mode is to learn the things that are normal in your enviornment and create rules based on that behavior for you to more easily create allows for things you want prior to enabling and locking everything down. As chealey stated, you do not want this enabled for more than a few weeks. Once you've completed migration, I would advise reaching out to us to discuss best practices for navigating that period.

Was my reply helpful?

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator