Did you mean: 
Sudip1
Level 9
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

Email attachment dropped malware in system

Jump to solution

Hi,

I have a hash value for a file which was attached with an Email. It is suspected as malware and also detected by a number of antiviruses as per virus total ,but McAfee has not detected  it as malware.

I don't have the sample file with me so i'm not able to upload it to the McAfee portal. Is it possible for McAfee to download the file from virus total from the hash value? If so can you please confirm why McAfee is not detecting the file as malicious?

Hash : 1c6ef06f48256543d9fc81199af54025a42a20bf01a2eedd49b85d2c1f580541 

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: Email attachment dropped malware in system

Jump to solution

Hi @Sudip1 

I can confirm that we do have GTI detection for this file. But it is not covered by DAT at this time. If you raise an SR with us, we would be able to provide you with an ExtraDAT if you wish for protection by content.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

3 Replies
chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi @Sudip1 

I can confirm that we do have GTI detection for this file. But it is not covered by DAT at this time. If you raise an SR with us, we would be able to provide you with an ExtraDAT if you wish for protection by content.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

View solution in original post

Sudip1
Level 9
Message 3 of 4

Jump to solution

Hi Chealey,

Thanks for your reply.

So when we can expect the signature in daily DAT itself?

Till then should we update all the systems with extra DAT, that may be victim for this malware ?

chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Jump to solution

I'm afraid we can't share an ETA on when it will be added. It has to go through various validation channels before being added. If your systems have GTI look ups enabled, then they are already protected. As I said if your systems aren't able to reach our GTI servers and you require an ExtraDAT then yes, please raise a Service Request so we can generate one and share with you for protection.

Was my reply helpful?
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community