Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 10
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

ENS web control

Hi guys,

According to this page: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87568 to control web addresses and block some, on every browser the extension or add-on should be enabled locally! If it is true than it would be very funny in a network where using different browsers and internet connection are allowed. Is there any alternative way to block a specific web address using ENS? For example Firewall?

Thank you in advance.

McAfee Endpoint Security 

3 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: ENS web control

Hi @it1024,

Thank you for your post. Excellent question! McAfee cannot enforce browsers to enable our addons or plugins for web control as the browsers do not allow the same. Hence in the same referred KBA, we have provided solution for enabling extensions via Group Policy.

While Internet Explorer settings are pre loaded to your GPO, Other GP Policy objects can be obtained from the referred link in the KBA or from the browser support pages.

I sincerely hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Level 10
Message 3 of 4

@AdithyanT 

Thank you so much for your reply.

Actually asking the IT team to enforce such a policy in Active Directory for just controlling the Web while other brands are doing it in a much easier way does not seem very appropriate.

So I tried to solve this issue through firewall by adding a rule to block all connections to a specific FQDN address which is added to "Specify network" section in the policy, and Network protocol:Any, Transport protocol:All. And it worked!

McAfee Endpoint Security 

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

Hi @it1024,

I certainly understand the inconvenience here.

While this can be an excellent enhancement for our product, the work around you have implemented can be further narrowed down to just for browser based traffic if you mention the executables names (like firefox.exe, iexplore.exe, etc.). The major advantage of using web control is that you can control/ block traffic to specific categories of sites which is not achievable via Firewall.

Thank you for keeping us updated on what worked for you.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community