cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENS versions after 2298 break Azure Backup

After upgrading servers beyond ENS version 2298 servers being backed up using Azure backup begin to have Azure backup issues. We have implemented the Microsoft recommended scanning exclusions. The issues only start after the server is rebooted post upgrade. Azure backup continues to work OK until the reboot. After a server hits the issue it can be downgraded to ENS 2298 as a workaround for the issue. However, we don't want to leave servers running ENS 2298. We try new releases of ENS to see if the issue still exists but up to now the issue is still there. The error we see is DATA FAILURE 0x80070002. This was reported to Microsoft who simply say that something is interfering with the snapshot process as its writing the data. Has anyone else come across this issue?
4 Replies
AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: ENS versions after 2298 break Azure Backup

Hi @marksmith972,

Thank you for reporting this. I have come across a very similar incident in the past where "cbengine.exe" used to get blocked as it attempts to touch ENS files during its backup routine (I presume) and thereby fails since our self protection blocks that from happening!

The solution on the above was to either disable Self protection during this process or add "cbengine.exe" under exclusions in ENS common policy.
I would recommend going through the "Self protection.log" file within ENS logs Folder to confirm if the issue is indeed the same.
Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

Thank you for the suggestion. We already have cbengine.exe set as a Low Risk process. I've checked the self-protection log file but it only contained issues with smhstart.exe which is HP's System Management Homepage Service.

AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Hi @marksmith972 ,

Thank you for the update. In his case I would recommend following the second post from my nd that talks about component isolation.

This would help us isolate which component is causing the issue and further add necessary exclusions as needed to specific component/feature.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Hi @marksmith972,

As a general recommendation, I would recommend progressive disabling of components to narrow down which component is exactly causing the issue here!

It would go something like this:

1. Disable On-Access Scan. If the issue goes away, re-enable On-Access Scan and then disable the following options and test after each. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
    • Scan Boot Sectors
    • Scan Processes on enable
    • Scan Trusted installers (if there’s an application installation involved)
    • ScriptScan
    • Scan on Network Drives
    • Scan when writing to disk
    • Scan when reading from disk
    • Find unknown unwanted programs and trojans
    • Find unknown macro threats
    • Scan inside archives
    • Decode MIME encoded files
    • Detect unwanted programs
  2. Disable Access Protection. If the high issue goes away, re-enable Access Protection and then disable blocking and reporting on each of the Access Protection Rules and test after each. Otherwise, continue to the next step.
  3. Disable Exploit Prevention. If the issue goes away, re-enable Exploit Prevention and then disable each signature and Application Protection Rule and test after each.
Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community