cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

ENS not implementing policies properly

Jump to solution

Hello All, we have encountered in different occasions an issue with the policies applied on a server.

The last issue occurred yesterday on an escalation from our client. McAfee was consuming high cpu.

That server has a policy with exclusion. What we did before asking questions or doing troubleshooting was to open the Agent Monitor, click on check policies, enforce policies and then collect and send props.

After doing that the cpu % dropped. I was just wondering if there is a known issue about policies being "ignored" after a certain amount of time.Also I would like to know if this is an issue with the ENS, Agent or ePO.

Agent version: 5.6.1.308

ENS version: 10.6.1.1777

ePO Build: ePolicy Orchestrator 5.10.0 (Build 2428)
Update Installed: Update 4 (2.0.0.454)

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 3 of 5

Re: ENS not implementing policies properly

Jump to solution

Hi @Edgar1210,

Thank you for your post. I am glad you were able to work around the reported issue by enforcing policies. Policy enforcement is taken care by McAfee Agent and I have not really come across any known issues with respect to that (Not that I am aware of) with respect to MA 5.6.1.308.

Source: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90993

To answer the latter part of the post, isolating the issue, I would recommend first grabbing a screenshot of Task Manager to understand what process is consuming High CPU.

If it is McShield.exe that is consuming High CPU, then we are looking at ENS at fault. However, If enforcing the policy resolves the issue every time, we are looking at an investigation requirement from McAfee Agent's end.

Also when you performed policy enforcement on the machine, Did you see a Scan task running in the background when you accessed the machine? You can verify if you know the time stamp by looking into OnDemandScan_Activity in the following folder: C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Logs

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

4 Replies
McAfee Employee YashT
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hello @Edgar1210 ,

McAfee Consuming high CPU we need to know what all products are installed on the system, some instances we have seen that if solidcore is installed it might spike the agent service on CPU.

Do let me know how frequent it is happening and is solidcore installed on that server ? If so I would recommend raising a case with us.

regarding known issue where policy assignment will fail, is not there with the agent version 5.6.1

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @Edgar1210,

Thank you for your post. I am glad you were able to work around the reported issue by enforcing policies. Policy enforcement is taken care by McAfee Agent and I have not really come across any known issues with respect to that (Not that I am aware of) with respect to MA 5.6.1.308.

Source: https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB90993

To answer the latter part of the post, isolating the issue, I would recommend first grabbing a screenshot of Task Manager to understand what process is consuming High CPU.

If it is McShield.exe that is consuming High CPU, then we are looking at ENS at fault. However, If enforcing the policy resolves the issue every time, we are looking at an investigation requirement from McAfee Agent's end.

Also when you performed policy enforcement on the machine, Did you see a Scan task running in the background when you accessed the machine? You can verify if you know the time stamp by looking into OnDemandScan_Activity in the following folder: C:\ProgramData\McAfee\Endpoint Security\Logs

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

I just opened a ticket to check on the Agent because it is what you mentioned it this comment: 

" If enforcing the policy resolves the issue every time, we are looking at an investigation requirement from McAfee Agent's end."

Answering to your question

Did you see a Scan task running in the background when you accessed the machine? 

-Once I enforced the policies the % of the Scanning process got reduced (but was still present) because it started to take the exclusions applied on the policy. 

I appreciate both answers but this helped me more to understand what it was needed to do. Thanks again.

McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @Edgar1210,

Thank you for your kind update! Very glad we could be of assistance here! Please keep us posted what resolved your issue 🙂

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community