Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
sandsand
Level 7
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 4

ENS installation failed

I have access to ENS from my university however when i try and install it, it fails and says

" install failed return code : 1604 "

what does this mean?

how can I fix it?

Many thanks

3 Replies
chealey
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 4

Re: ENS installation failed

Hi @sandsand

The exit codes are standard Windows exit codes: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/desktop/msi/error-codes

1604 would mean "Installation suspended, incomplete". This would indicate something is interrupting the installation.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?
sandsand
Level 7
Message 3 of 4

Hi Chealey, 

thanks for your reply it also says

"ENS is left on the system, so leaving the system as such. We cannot dereference 15.7+ vscore now"

does this help explain why its failing to install?

jess_arman
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 4

@sandsand That means that the installation did not fully roll back and left part of the installation on the system. In this case, it's some of the kernel driver components.

Installation failures require detailed analysis of multiple installation logs that are left on the client and as such, it is not likely that someone can effectively help you by reviewing arbitrary single line messages that you copy. 

Since you obtained the software via your University, you should have an organization or methods in place for getting assistance with your installation via your local IT helpdesk for students. I would advise that you reach out to them for assistance. If for some reason they can't figure out the cause, then their support contract with us should allow them to give our Support teams a call if needed.

You as a Student are not included in the University's Support agreement, and as such are not qualified to receive McAfee Business/Enterprise support assistance, so I can't advise you to call in to us. I also have no way to verify if the software they offer is a consumer or enterprise version of ENS.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community