cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ENS command line scan / automation

Jump to solution

In our product, we are using the command line scanner of VirusScan Enterprise (scan32.exe) to scan specific files and receive the result (clean/dirty). Now it seems that we have to move on to Endpoint Security (the "flagship endpoint platform") which is replacing VirusScan Enterprise, but we did not find any possibility to scan specific files using command line parameters or other automation possibilities (like for example OLE).

How can our software scan single or multiple files using ENS?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 4 of 6

Re: ENS command line scan / automation

Jump to solution

@Roger_Tinembart You're welcome Smiley Happy The recommendation would be to still use the VirusScan Command Line Scanner 6.x for its designed purpose, and then you can look towards ENS as a solution for the resident, "automatic" AV solution---so where VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 is fully installed and has a GUI interface, you could move to ENS which is similar in nature.

We have not been given information regarding plans for ENS for Windows to have the ability to configure ODS via command line, as it is possible to schedule them within the GUI interface as well as remotely via ePO. Linux OS systems tend to not have a GUI enabled, and as such have been integrated with command line options for most of the configurable features to be modified locally/in standalone.

We have not been given a timeline nor official plans for a Endpoint Security Command Line Scanner that would replace/be similar to the VirusScan Command Line Scanner 6.x. However, we also have not been given a statement to say it shouldn't be expected to be provided at some point in time, either. I apologize that I don't currently have more information to provide in regards to this matter. 

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

5 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

@Roger_Tinembart For command line scanning options, you are able to remain with VSE Command Line Scanner at this time as there is not yet a similar offering under Endpoint Security. 
Similar to the traditional form of VSE, ENS provides this type of on-demand scanning via the Right-Click ODS, or via targeted Quick-scan ODS tasks. 

Endpoint Security for Linux is able to invoke ODS via command line, but Windows ENS is not capable at this time. 

The recommendation you've been given to move on towards ENS would be in regards to the locally installed primary endpoint anti-malware solution, not the lightweight engine scanner form like VSE Command Line Scanner.

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

@jess_arman Thank you very much for your answer! If I understand you correctly, we are able to (and shall) still buy VirusScan Enterprise at the moment until it will be possible to do command line scans directly in ENS? In this case we possibly missunderstood the recommendation to move to ENS.

You write "...but Windows ENS is not capable at this time". Does this imply that there are plans to support command line scans in ENS in the future?

McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

@Roger_Tinembart You're welcome Smiley Happy The recommendation would be to still use the VirusScan Command Line Scanner 6.x for its designed purpose, and then you can look towards ENS as a solution for the resident, "automatic" AV solution---so where VirusScan Enterprise 8.8 is fully installed and has a GUI interface, you could move to ENS which is similar in nature.

We have not been given information regarding plans for ENS for Windows to have the ability to configure ODS via command line, as it is possible to schedule them within the GUI interface as well as remotely via ePO. Linux OS systems tend to not have a GUI enabled, and as such have been integrated with command line options for most of the configurable features to be modified locally/in standalone.

We have not been given a timeline nor official plans for a Endpoint Security Command Line Scanner that would replace/be similar to the VirusScan Command Line Scanner 6.x. However, we also have not been given a statement to say it shouldn't be expected to be provided at some point in time, either. I apologize that I don't currently have more information to provide in regards to this matter. 

Was my reply helpful?

McAfee Employee ktankink
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution
Does this imply that there are plans to support command line scans in ENS in the future?

Regarding this, I wanted to point out some info with our ENS 10.7 version that is currently in Beta.  Please see the Beta page for more information.  This may or may not be what you're looking for.

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/downloads/beta-programs/public/endpoint-security-10-7.html

Support for on-demand scan from the command line and improved scanning performance

McAfee Endpoint Security Threat Prevention

• On-demand scan command line interface — Adds the ability to start, stop, pause, resume, and get status for Quick, Full, and custom on-demand scans from the command line or as part of a batch file.
  • Custom on-demand scan command line interface — Adds the ability to run a previously defined custom on-demand scan with new settings, without changing the settings of the original custom scan.
  • Update command line interface — Adds the ability to update the scan engine, AMCore content, and Exploit Prevention from the command line or as part of a batch file.

Jump to solution

Thank you for this hint. We will have a look at the command line options of ENS 10.7 and whether they fullfill our needs.