Did you mean: 
Linuxxo
Level 11
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 5

ENS Firewall and port TCP 8081

Jump to solution

Hi,

I am testing the ENS Firewall, the policy has been setup with mostly default settings, whitelisted a few problematic applications, and also added a list of trusted internal networks. I have run several tests using NMAP and other tools, and ports TCP 445 and 8081 are being flagged as open. I have found information about securing port 445, but I cannot find anything about port 8081, which I know is required for inbound communication between the ePO and Agent. Is there a way to ensure that port 8081 is secure or safe to leave open?

Many thanks in advance.

ePO version 5.9.1

ENS FW 10.7.0.1686

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
ktankink
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 5

Re: ENS Firewall and port TCP 8081

Jump to solution

In the McAfee Agent General policy, there is an option to restrict connectivity to the Agent's port (8081 by default).  Accept connections only from the ePO server.

Please see KB85840 for more details.

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/agent-5.6.x-interface-reference-guide/page/GUID-1771B848-3E05-4EB4-A3...

(McAfee ePO On-Premises) Accept connections only from the ePO server — If selected, McAfee Agent listens for incoming calls only from this McAfee ePO server. If deselected, McAfee Agent listens for incoming calls from any IP address. Selecting this option removes McAfee Agent from consideration when McAfee ePO tries to connect using any available Agent Handler.

View solution in original post

4 Replies
AdithyanT
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 2 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi @Linuxxo,

Thank you for your post.

Securing ports would have a wider meaning depending on what product is sued and where it is being implemented at an organization. In our case, since you are suing ENS Firewall on endpoints, the maximum restriction you can provide without hampering MA to ePO communication is by blocking all other application communication via port 8081 and allowing only McAfee applications (McAfee signed binaries) to access port 8081!

Leaving the port open as it is is also fine provided your gateway firewall secures inbound traffic to that port from outside the network thereby reducing any chance of access from outsiders. While there could be many other creative ways to increase or tighten the security for any specific port, I could only think of the above. I sincerely hope you find them useful!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
ktankink
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 5

Jump to solution

In the McAfee Agent General policy, there is an option to restrict connectivity to the Agent's port (8081 by default).  Accept connections only from the ePO server.

Please see KB85840 for more details.

https://docs.mcafee.com/bundle/agent-5.6.x-interface-reference-guide/page/GUID-1771B848-3E05-4EB4-A3...

(McAfee ePO On-Premises) Accept connections only from the ePO server — If selected, McAfee Agent listens for incoming calls only from this McAfee ePO server. If deselected, McAfee Agent listens for incoming calls from any IP address. Selecting this option removes McAfee Agent from consideration when McAfee ePO tries to connect using any available Agent Handler.

View solution in original post

Linuxxo
Level 11
Message 4 of 5

Jump to solution

Many thanks, I just found out that this option was already selected.

Linuxxo
Level 11
Message 5 of 5

Jump to solution

Hi, thanks for your reply, the requirement for the FW is to protect remote workers that connect to home and public networks. I just wanted to make sure that the port is secure and safe to leave open.

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community