cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do I still need McAfee software with Windows 10?

Whether you've recently upgraded to Windows 10 or you're thinking about it, a good question to ask is, “Do I need antivirus software?”. Well, technically, no. Microsoft has Windows Defender, a legitimate antivirus protection plan already built into Windows 10.J

vivatv cyberflix

4 Replies
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Do I still need McAfee software with Windows 10?

Hello @nalafxx 

Whilst this is a great question which I'm sure a few people have asked and considered, unfortunately it's not related to DLP. I'm going to move your post to the ENS side for one of their community admins to discuss further. 

With kind regards, 

Kirk

Technical Support Engineer
Customer Success Group
support.mcafee.com

Was my reply helpful?If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos!

Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" in my reply and together we can help other members?

Kind Regards,
Kirk Nevard
Technical Support Engineer
Customer Success Group

If you’re running Windows 10, should you get an antivirus app? There are certainly some good reasons to do so, as we’ll explore in this article, not the least of which is that Microsoft’s operating system is so popular that it makes a seriously tempting target for malware authors in terms of the potential spoils to be gotten.

Our definitive list of today's best Windows 10 antivirus programs
Looking for even more protection? Grab a great VPN for PC
See why we rate Bitdefender so highly in our testing
Big target

Windows 10 is the most widely used desktop operating system in the world, and as the OS of choice for many PCs everywhere, it represents a broad and juicy target for malware authors.

Quite simply, if someone writes a piece of malware that exploits Windows 10, then there are a lot of potential targets out there that the malicious software might end up on. So, it’s no surprise that Windows users (including the unwise folks who remain on Windows 7) are the biggest targets for malware authors.

Now, it’s true that in recent times, malicious actors are giving Apple’s Mac platform more attention, but Windows is still the operating system that is most under threat, of course. Particularly when it comes to malware, with Mac threats tending to be the likes of potentially unwanted programs (known as PUPs) or adware. The vast majority of the really malicious stuff is hurled at Windows machines.

McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 5

Hi @nalafxx,

Great question! I would recommend reviewing and comparing the 2 products online and consulting with our Sales team to understand what advantages you have with McAfee over using Defender and if you find it satisfactory, You can opt in for installing McAfee Endpoint Security.

Although you may have to consult Microsoft to understand in depth about the features that Defender has and does not, You can refer to the below link to understand what McAfee has to offer when you have Endpoint Security.

https://www.mcafee.com/enterprise/en-us/assets/white-papers/wp-understanding-ep-security-10-module.p...

I sincerely hope this helps.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 5 of 5

Well, if you want your AV easily disabled, sure, run with Defender.  🙂

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community