cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can't install Windows Updates if ENS is installed

For some reasons, if ENS is present, I can't get the cumulatives updates for Windows 10 - 1809 to install. Whenever I remove ENS, it goes without a problem. I have the same problem with a Windows 10 - 1903.

SoftwareDistribution folder and subfolders are in the exclusions list. ENS platform is 10.7.0.1285.

Any clue on the course of action to take?

4 Replies
YashT McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 5

Re: Can't install Windows Updates if ENS is installed

Hello @RenaldVachon ,

This should help : Windows fails to apply updates with Endpoint Security installed
Technical Articles ID: KB89402

Workaround
Within ePolicy Orchestrator, modify the policy managing the system to disable Access Protection and Self Protection until the updates are complete. Then, revert the changes to re-enable Access Protection and Self Protection.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
AdithyanT McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 5

Hi @RenaldVachon,

Thanks for your post. Can you kindly please help me with the KB number of the update you are trying to install?

Is it KB4524244 ?

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T

@YashT I've disabled the Access Protection by modifying the policy. It works, so I've been able to get the updates to install correctly on a machine.

After more search in the logs, it looks like a rule was set to block the .scr type of file. Disabling that rule lets the update install. I guess it's a matter now of creating an exclusion for this particular file in the access protection policy.

@AdithyanT The update is the KB4532695 for computers under Windows 10-1903 and KB4534273 for computers under Windows 10-1809

YashT McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 5 of 5

Hello @RenaldVachon ,

I am glad that now the updates are working fine with the exclusion and temporarily disabling access  protection till it updates. 🙂

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! l Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Yash T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community