cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black screen on Windows 10 VMs with ENS 10.5.5

Jump to solution

After installing the latest November MS Security patches on Windows 10 1803 VMs with ENS 10.5.5 all VMs display black screen after logging in. The only way to resolve is to boot into advnaced options with "early launch anti-malware protection disabled" and uninstall ENS. Reinstalling it back produces black screen again. We even tried ENS 10.6.1.Any suggestions please? Looks like some additional security was introduced by Microsoft that has something to do with McAfee driver signing.

2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Re: Black screen on Windows 10 VMs with ENS 10.5.5

Jump to solution

We were able to narrow the problem down to EPO Exploit Preventation policy. Once we disable the problem is gone. Once enabled back all Windows 10 VMs come with black screen once logged. I had a ticket open with ENS team yesterday and they are reviewing the logs. I am trying to open new ticket now with the EPO team. We are running EPO 5.3.2 and clients are running agent 5.5.1.388 wsith ENS 10.5.5.

Any known issue anyone aware with 5.3,2 Exploit Preventation and Windows 10 build 1803?

View solution in original post

Jump to solution

We identified and resolved the problem. It was caused by 3rd party antimalware product called "Crowdstrike" which was colliding with McAfee exploit prevention. We modified one of the "Crowdstrike" policies to resolve the problem.

22 Replies
McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 23

Jump to solution

@NikolayE This is not behavior that we have seen reported in trend across Customer issues. I would ask that you please give Support a call and open an SR so we can assist with some data collection/analysis to investigate and validate the behavior you're seeing. You can reach us at 1 (866) 622-3911

Was my reply helpful?

If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

We were able to narrow the problem down to EPO Exploit Preventation policy. Once we disable the problem is gone. Once enabled back all Windows 10 VMs come with black screen once logged. I had a ticket open with ENS team yesterday and they are reviewing the logs. I am trying to open new ticket now with the EPO team. We are running EPO 5.3.2 and clients are running agent 5.5.1.388 wsith ENS 10.5.5.

Any known issue anyone aware with 5.3,2 Exploit Preventation and Windows 10 build 1803?

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 4 of 23

Jump to solution

Were you able to identify the rule which caused the issue? This is not something that I can say I've encountered either. If a rule of EP was triggered, the only way of seeing which rule was triggered would be by enabling debug logging - reproducing the issue - and then checking the debug log.

Was my reply helpful?
If this information was helpful in any way, or answered your question, will you please select "Accept as Solution" in my reply, or give kudos as appropriate, so together we can help other members?

Jump to solution

How do I enable debug logging for this desktop?

McAfee Employee chealey
McAfee Employee
Message 6 of 23

Jump to solution

ENS debug logging can be set via the ENS common policy - if you know how to get into the machine, you can apply the policy change and then reproduce the issue.

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

We enabled debugging, but not really seeing anything useful in the debug logs to pin point the problem. We also tried installing latest MS updates fro December, but problem is still there. Any suggestions please?

McAfee Employee jess_arman
McAfee Employee
Message 8 of 23

Jump to solution

@NikolayE It would be expected that you would see some Exploit Prevention (ExP) rule blocking or increased Exploit Prevention activity logging in the Exploit Prevention Debug log to indicate how ExP is involved in the behavior, since you saw the issue resolve when ExP was disabled. 

For detailed assistance reviewing this data, I would advise engaging directly with Support via your open Service Request as it would be much more efficient in this scenario than engaging in a log review via forum. Do you have a particular SR number being used for tracking this?

Was my reply helpful?

Jump to solution

I've had the case open with support for sometime now, but so far support is not useful at all

Jump to solution

SR # <4-19492758456

More McAfee Tools to Help You
  • Subscription Service Notification (SNS)
  • How-to: Endpoint Removal Tool
  • Support: Endpoint Security
  • eSupport: Policy Orchestrator
  • Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
    • Learn How to Earn Badges
    • Ask for Help
    Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
    • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
    • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
    Join the Community
    Join the Community