cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted

Attempting to install ENS setupep.exe not responding

Jump to solution

I'm upgrading my ENS install and while it has worked on many servers, there are just as many I'm getting a weird issue with.

If I run the install via SCCM, nothing happens.  Then I log into the server and run the setupep.exe manually and nothing happens. If I run a command prompt with appropriate switches nothing happens.  Then I tried a simple "setupep.exe /?" command and even that provides no response.  I've completely remove both ENS and the Agent from the device and was able to reinstall the agent no issues.

when looking through all logs on the system the only two logs I can find that showed I tried to do anything is from the security logs attached below.

ErrorCreate.jpg

then this one in the same date a time straight after

Errorterminate.jpg

Has anyone else seen something similar and can point me in the next direction to troubleshoot this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted

Re: Attempting to install ENS setupep.exe not responding

Jump to solution

For people interested the issue was a missing certificate for me it was GlobalSign Root CA in the ThirdParty Root Certificates.  I discovered this because I modified my registry key of 
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\AuthRoot\DisableRootAutoUpdate from 1 to 0
This is not an ideal option in an enterprise network but it has allowed me to discover what cert I was missing and I can now look to ensuring this certificate is deployed on all required devices.

View solution in original post

6 Replies
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi @joshuareynolds,

Sorry for the delayed response and Thank you for this post! Apologies for the statement but I find this issue quite interesting as weird as it is.

First I would look out for presence of logs.

If deployed form ePO --> C:\Windows\Temp\McAfeelogs\

If run locally --> %temp%\McAfeelogs\

If you find something, I am sure we are having our answers there. if no logs are present, this is probably getting even weirder. I would recommend running process monitor while attempting the installation and once you find the process termination event in your event viewer, I would recommend stopping the logging and send it across to me.

Alternatively a Service Request would be a better bet for uploading logs, Feel free to refer my name so that i can pick it up and work on it with you.

Process Monitor:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/procmon

Looking forward to your kind response and update on this!

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 3 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi @joshuareynolds,

Also, While looking for logs, it is worth looking into C:\Temp as I see those params being supplied while installing the TP component.

Also please sanitize any logs that you may upload here.

Was my reply helpful?
If you find this post useful, Please give it a Kudos! Also, Please don't forget to select "Accept as a solution" if this reply resolves your query!

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
Highlighted

Jump to solution

yup looked in the C:\temp and nothing was being located however in the %temp% I get two lines

10/01/2020 18:22:46.745 [4192] [BootStrapperMain] Verifying process sign of C:\Windows\ccmcache\4b\setupEP.exe
10/01/2020 18:22:46.839 [4192] [BootStrapperMain] Trust Verification Failed!

so good news is that gives me something to move forward to progressing, bad news at first glance all certs seem to be good for the device.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

For people interested the issue was a missing certificate for me it was GlobalSign Root CA in the ThirdParty Root Certificates.  I discovered this because I modified my registry key of 
HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\SystemCertificates\AuthRoot\DisableRootAutoUpdate from 1 to 0
This is not an ideal option in an enterprise network but it has allowed me to discover what cert I was missing and I can now look to ensuring this certificate is deployed on all required devices.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 7

Jump to solution

10/01/2020 18:22:46.839 [4192] [BootStrapperMain] Trust Verification Failed!

Trust Verification Failed! = Says it ALL = CERTS

Glad you found it 😉 You can't imagine how well know this problem is. The larger the companys the more you see such effects. Firewall/Webfilter/Proxy Admins Block Cert Revocation request other turn off Root Cert Update because the play around with Registry keys. (Maybe just to slim down traffic and because someone from Proxy team asked them why the server reached certain WAN Adress 😉

There is another issue you should have noticed EXCEPT the visible effect you had.

If you had it like this the performance of the VSE/ENS have been horrible. To be more specific only the process with the Trust and Certs.

Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 7 of 7

Jump to solution

Hi @joshuareynolds,

Firstly, Thank you for your kind update and letting us know what resolved the issue for you. I would like to point to the below KBA that discusses this issue in more details for you and gives alternate options to handle the missing Certs via GPO as well.

https://kc.mcafee.com/corporate/index?page=content&id=KB87096

I sincerely hope you do not find any further obstacles while deploying and if you need any further assistance, Feel free to contact us!

Was my reply helpful?

Thanks and regards,
Adithyan T
You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community