cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Level 8
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 1 of 2

400 Threat events created at the same time

Hello, we've been using EPO and ENS for awhile. On 4/23/2020 we received 400 Threat events from one agent at the same time.

The threat name was: Browsers launching files from the Downloaded Program Files folder

So I saw this happen and contacted the user of the PC and the user said that file has been there for years:

Sure enough the file creation dates vary over the last 3 years.

Does anyone know what causes threat prevention to rescan the downloads folder and generate these alerts?

The other day I zipped a file in my downloads folder and suddenly there were 30 alerts about files in my Downloads folder that have been there for a really long time.

I have been working with technical support on this but the ticket has basically devolved into madness now.

1 Reply
Highlighted
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Report Inappropriate Content
Message 2 of 2

Re: 400 Threat events created at the same time

Hi,  so the McAfee-defined Access Protection rule  :  Browsers launching files from the Downloaded Program Files folder

Description : Prevents software from installing through the web browser. Because this rule might also block the installation of legitimate software, install the application before enabling this rule or add the installation process as an exclusion. This rule is set to Report by default.
This rule prevents adware and spyware from installing and running executables from this folder.

The log entry should have more detail about the calling process that triggered the AP report.

Can I have the SR number please? 

You Deserve an Award
Don't forget, when your helpful posts earn a kudos or get accepted as a solution you can unlock perks and badges. Those aren't the only badges, either. How many can you collect? Click here to learn more.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community